Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Jujutsuka

Old November 3rd, 2016, 01:11 PM
Hello, as a new customer and RW user (purchased yesterday), I am excited to import the core rules and tables for D&D 5E into RW. Especially monster entries, spells, magic items, combat rules, equipment... well, you get the idea.

What I am curious to know at this point is, will it be worth it for me to manually enter this data into RW now, or will there be OGL SRD content released for import through the content market?

As excited as I am to have all of the rules contents accessible in a linked, integrated database, which will create a significant ease of reference, I would hate to spend hours importing that data to find out that I could have waited a few weeks to have it done in a much easier manner.

Any input will be greatly appreciated! Pleases and thank yous!
Jujutsuka is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 3rd, 2016, 02:26 PM
Dev's have confirmed the SRD content is on their To Do list from memory but as for the status of it's readiness. Well i wish I knew the answer to that.

I would offer feedback in the form of don't bother too much with rules you are comfortable with. Focus on the things that you always have to query. It becomes a PITA to deal with all the linking when it comes to rules as it pick's up stuff that's not necessary all the time and duplication becomes time consuming.

Do you have Hero Lab also?

Monsters are easy enough to do. And honestly I don't see anyone releasing content I would be happy with. I really really really like having pictures linked. Now pictures are not included in the SRD and you can't just cut and paste stuff from Google Images due to all the licensing issues. So perhaps that's a good place to start?

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old November 3rd, 2016, 05:27 PM
Focus on your realm if you are a world builder or just focus on the material you need to run your next adventure. I put in the entire Basic rules that were available legally in PDF form into RW but found that I rarely need to look those up. Also, I entered before the new alias/naming functionality was added and I wasn't careful how I named the mechanics articles. Now I have RW constantly wanting to link common, frequently-used words like "damage" and "hide".

What I have found useful are spells, because I'm awful at remembering all the details and hate flipping through books looking for the spell info. Having the spells linked to the NPC snippet or topic can be helpful, though, again, need to be careful with naming if you don't want every instance of the word "sleep" linked to the spell topic.

That said, after SRD became available for HeroLabs, I've found I don't even need to look up spells in RW. I just have a HL snippet for that NPC and I can view all their info in RW or, more commonly, launch in HL and add as an enemy/ally of the party and manage combat in HL's tactical console.

The mechanical stuff I still find VERY helpful to have in HL:

* home-brew third-party stuff. For example, I have Ronny Hart's Nautical Adventures information entered into RW for easy access to naval combat, ship stats, etc. I also have some EN World material entered.

* frequently referenced but difficult to remember rules. For example, I have the Sorcer's Wild Surge Magic table in RW (which I made some adjustments to to keep my Sorcerer player on his toes).

If the full content of the PHB, DMG, MM, VGTM, SCAG, etc. were available to purchase from the content market, I certainly would, but it is not where I want to spend my time in terms of entering information.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Jujutsuka

Old November 4th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys! That helps!
Jujutsuka is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 4th, 2016, 11:48 AM
As far as mechanics go, I added spells and statuses so they are highlighted for me. I only add mobs as I need them. I've added languages because there are some odd ones I want to track. And I'm adding traps/poisons/hazards because they will be re-usable and it helps me standardize how I present them.

Like Daplunk, I want more than the SRD offers. Specifically, images and stat blocks. But also sometimes house rules.

Unlike Daplunk, I spend way too much time creating tables and pasting in text rather than copy/pasting images. I want the links and I'm spending the extra time because it matters to me.

It all boils down into an effort:results trade-off. Is the effort spent worth your time to achieve what you want? What YOU want. You are the only person that matters.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote