Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

daplunk

Old October 16th, 2016, 05:10 PM
I'm so jealous of that table setup. Looks incredible.

I just finished my projector setup. You can see the use of 3x screens (DM, Player facing with RW, Projector on table with MapTools).

Projector setup with dedicated monitor for showing handouts to players

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 18th, 2018, 11:59 PM
I'm going to be placing an order from Collabrewate for a portable TV case for tabletop games and digital maps.

Basically, the display is horizontal and connected to a laptop so you can display digital battlemaps using RealmWorks, Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, or just zooming a PDF to the appropriate scale. Most of the time, I plan to display a map using RealmWorks player view and zoom it until it is at 1"=5' scale and use miniatures right on the display.

First, size. I decided 40" is the right compromise of large playing space, portability, and price. I came to this conclusion after drawing out on a Chessex battlemap the functional play spaces for (1) the D&D Adventure Grid [green line], (2) a 32" monitor [red line], and (3) a 40" monitor [blue line]. After seeing it physically on the table, it became clear to me that a 32" inch monitor would be inadequate and a 40" would still be plenty portable.

But this still isn't based on actual play.

For those of you who game using horizontal displays as digital battlemaps, using actual minis on top of the screen, what size monitor(s) do you use? Have you felt hampered by too small a screen? Do you find your screen to be too large and cumbersome?

Also, what are some economical monitors with shallow or no bezels.

Finally, does it make sense to spring more for 1080p over 720p?

The Collabrewate recommend the Vizio brand but they will work with many displays. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 19th, 2018, 12:46 AM
We have the same battle matt, Chessex, now 15+ years. It will survive even more. Nothing beats this, including digital screen.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 19th, 2018, 12:55 AM
That Chessex mat may be indestructible. I got my first one just after college, in the early 90's, and had to retire it because the lines wore off.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 19th, 2018, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
For those of you who game using horizontal displays as digital battlemaps, using actual minis on top of the screen, what size monitor(s) do you use? Have you felt hampered by too small a screen? Do you find your screen to be too large and cumbersome?

Also, what are some economical monitors with shallow or no bezels.

Finally, does it make sense to spring more for 1080p over 720p?
@ MNB, for the last 9 years after building our gaming room, I converted an old dining room table (goodwill) and sunk 2 JVC Diamond displays end to end into the surface and covered with an old Shower door glass salvage. This arrangement is utilized just like you described, as a VTT with Mini's on top.

Putting the TVs end to end allowed for seating of 8 players with plenty of room. IT also gave me a map surface of 30" x 84". So runningthe VTT scale of 1"=5' (standard for most mini bases) gives you a map area of 150' x 420' for dungeon / Encounter types. So depending on how I orient the map allows for minimal mapping updates.
Down sides
>Even with the zero bezel of this particular TV choice you still have a break line from one screen to other to account for on your stretch display.
>You have a bit of refraction due to glass thickness between base of figures and grid of map on screen.
Things to Consider
>In the past I used an overhead projector, but you must consider the "throw distance" for sufficient Height to get good map size on table
>You get Shadow from projection when people move / lean things over table
>Your Lumin value must be quite high unless you play with lights dimmed.
>If projector is offset and not in center of table you need to confirm the ability to Keystone the projection.

While the TV I selected are 1080, for static display it isn't really a have to have. Another thing I would look into is not only zero bezel but where the TV vents to keep cool. Mine vent out back so having glass on top was not an issue in holding heat in.

Our Gaming Table
Old Link when Liz was here and asked about same thing>http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...t=50112&page=2
DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; December 19th, 2018 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Added Link on table
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 19th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
That Chessex mat may be indestructible. I got my first one just after college, in the early 90's, and had to retire it because the lines wore off.
Don't know about indestructible. See those black circles that the blue line at the top goes through. They are a constant reminder why not to allow sharpies in the same room as a battlemap!

But yes, my Chessex battlemap will always have a place at my table.

MNBlockHead is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 19th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Dark Lord Galen, I've long envied your set up. Currently, however, my "game room" is multi use. It is also the craft room, homework room, etc. I have a number of folding tables in different lengths so I can set up different configurations. But a dedicated game table would be an inconvenience for now.

That's why I'm going with a custom built case that will allow me to easily store the display when not in use and also conveniently grab-and-go, taking it to a friend's home, a FLGS, or a convention. Vents and fans will be built into the case.

It does mean that the display will be higher than the table. But, unless the table it tall, it shouldn't matter and having it elevated a bit will keep dice, snakes, and books from spreading onto it and also give more protection against spills.

My main concern is that the bezel and the case's glass will create too much space between the minis and the battlemap image.

My other concern is whether I'm just throwing away money by buying a 1080p display. But if I buy a 720p, I worry it is not future proof. I mean the case is built to fit the TV. If it turns out that I don't like the TV, then I've wasted money on the display.

MNBlockHead is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 19th, 2018, 10:27 PM
Just sold my games room... my heart is aching!

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 20th, 2018, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Dark Lord Galen, I've long envied your set up. Currently, however, my "game room" is multi use. It is also the craft room, homework room, etc. I have a number of folding tables in different lengths so I can set up different configurations. But a dedicated game table would be an inconvenience for now.
Oh I can totally understand where you're coming from... As we are "mostly" empty nesters, we have a five bedroom house with just the wife and I and the cat that is on borrowed time at moments hehe... My Office got sacrificed to the sewing gods by royal decree ( insert wife here) and the smallest guest room (once the kids play room) became the "art room" aka crafts, painting, etc... We considered downsizing but the new house was going to cost more than what we have left on the old one and frankly you cant by your neighbors, I wouldn't trade mine for any.

Quote:
That's why I'm going with a custom built case that will allow me to easily store the display when not in use and also conveniently grab-and-go, taking it to a friend's home, a FLGS, or a convention. Vents and fans will be built into the case.
And the points you make here certainly have there merit. I am certainly not going to pack mine up and carry to another house

Quote:
It does mean that the display will be higher than the table. But, unless the table it tall, it shouldn't matter and having it elevated a bit will keep dice, snakes, and books from spreading onto it and also give more protection against spills.
A couple things you might consider are :
when you say it will add height to your table surface, be sure to look at it from a seated position. The viewing angle can vary and for your "height challenged" players that could be an issue.

Also in the good ole days when the majority of furniture we owned as young people was, shall we say disposable, a character sheet was not a veteran hero until baptised in whatever prefered soda was at the table.. haha
I too had the spill concern, so we implemented mugs with tops like this>
https://www.walmart.com/ip/IGNITE-US...-Vary/51636951
and for $6 its cheap insurance to protect your investment. I bought a dozen and they have lasted about 7 years now.

Quote:
My main concern is that the bezel and the case's glass will create too much space between the minis and the battlemap image.
on the bezel thickness it really doesn't come into play for view angle (at least on mine) if u go with near bezel-less. the slight height differential is actually good for keeping the weight of the glass and / or any "leaners" on the table from compressing the glass straight against the screen.
For the refraction from base to grid, I run my maps at about 101% making them just slightly bigger than the mini base. I think I'm the only one at the table that notices the offset but I'm a left brained engineer that tends to be a bit anal on the details and my configuration puts me at the far end of the screen as well. I'll try to take a few photos to give you a visual tomorrow and post them.

Quote:
My other concern is whether I'm just throwing away money by buying a 1080p display. But if I buy a 720p, I worry it is not future proof. I mean the case is built to fit the TV. If it turns out that I don't like the TV, then I've wasted money on the display.
Well for maps especially VTT ones most are seldom above 720p it simple becomes a memory hog especially if playing online. Now personally I like hi rez everything so I push it (hence my complaints about the whole 64 bit issue with RW). As to obsolete, well with the arrival of 4k TVs you might not see a big difference in cost between the 1080i, 1080p or 720 anyway. I'd look more at a higher refresh rate for clarity on your lines for grid etc.. Because depending on brand there is a viewable difference between 60mhz and 120mhz refresh, just like back in the old monitor days. I'd also focus on what ports I'd be using to connect to the display, Computer(lowest) Composite, HDMI, or if u can find and your computer handles it, Display port. By looking at the connections from pc to display should help "future proof" it more than the number of pixels... remember viewing at the size screen your considering the number of pixels vs the distance being viewed varies across the room versus 2 feet away. So from 10 feet a 32" TV displaying at 720 and another at 1080 might look almost identical (depending on lighting and refresh) where as at 2 feet your eye can begin to make out the individual pixels of the 720 TV more easily since there are only half as many and further apart. The ole warning mom used to give you about sitting to close to the TV and you could see the dots...

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 20th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Just sold my games room... my heart is aching!
Ouch! Well, look into getting a portable digital battlemap display case like those from the company I linked to. Then any table can be your game table.

I don't know that I'll ever have a dedicated game room. My wife and I have spoken about moving or putting an addition on our home, but the "game room would be more of a general purpose game/activity room. Basically bookshelves on all wall space and a large open area where I could fit a number of folding tables in various configurations.

I note from your earlier picture that you also used folding tables. They seem to make nice surfaces for projecting onto, something I haven't considered.

MNBlockHead is offline   #60 Reply With Quote