Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

Bomberg

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g
So where can I find information on which books are closed content? Is it only WotC books, or does such a classification apply to other D&D books published by other companies? I am thinking specifically of the Dragonlance game books produced by Margaret Weis productions.
Any book, file or whatever published under the Open Gaming License has to clarify what of the contents is open and what is closed Product Identity.

As MWP is not working under OGL, but has licensed the Dragonlance stuff separately, it might be that there is no open stuff in their books at all.

---
Huldvoll

Baron von Bomberg
Bomberg is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kingpaul

Send a message via AIM to kingpaul Send a message via MSN to kingpaul Send a message via Yahoo to kingpaul

Old December 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g
So where can I find information on which books are closed content?
The only WotC books that I'm aware of that have open content in them is: Unearthed Arcana, d20 Weapons Locker and MM2 (and I think there's only 2 creatures that are open, the rest is closed). Every other WotC book, TMK, is completely closed. WotC has published the SRD, RSRD and MSRD, which are completely open.
kingpaul is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old December 17th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Unless a book specifically styates that Open Content is present, one should assume there is none.

Speaking of open content, there are numerous third-party publishers who did open some of the content of their d20 material. An example is the late, lamented Guardians of Order and their BESM d20, for which they released a pair of SRDs (incluidng one for mecha). It's an open but somewhat clunky system for point-based characters, incluidng some on the superheroic scale. However, their Tri-Stat System remains closed even though the company is out of business.
MPHopcroft is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Ken

Old December 28th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Our purpose for this is actually to put users in contact with each other so they can discuss ongoing projects. If a few users coordinate on custom data file creation project, they can all reap the benefits of those files. It's only when data files with custom content are created for the purpose of wide distribution that a publisher is likely to get concerned.

One additional note, if copyrighted material is not being copy/pasted into the files - if all the relevant notes regarding a feat, skill, etc., are left off, or reworded to summarize it - then the copyright isn't *usally* being violated. We absolutely do not encourage copyright violations, which is why we recommend that users creating content based on any publications stick to mechanics as much as possible, avoiding inclusion of text.

We have had a good relationship with WotC and intend to do all in our power to preserve that relationship. We also believe that users should have the ability to create custom content within HL and would like to support those efforts, inasmuch as they don't violate any copyrights.

This forum provides a place for you to present questions about how to do certain things within HL, if you run into problems, and to share tidbits of information you pick up as you progress through your own projects.
Ken is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Well-stated Ken. Personally, in the past, when building a character generator, I've included no more than needed for mechanics. Flavor and other descriptive text I leave out. Game companies tend not to mind that too much.
FifthWanderer is offline   #15 Reply With Quote