Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Riskor-Idan

Old October 19th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I must be doing something wrong. Every time I try to add data into the editor, (for ANY game I have), nothing happens. I follow the tutorials and the way they do it but when I try to add my own stuff it does not save.

Could somebody give me a clue? Or am I just having a case of brain constipation...

That is the price you pay for being one of the finest!
Riskor-Idan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 19th, 2011, 02:07 PM
A checklist of the basics for you to run through;

You're saving your files to the default save folder - Each game system will only look in a specific folder, and not in its sub-folders.

You're using "Test Now!" to add each new piece to the currently loaded data?

When you load whichever game system you're working on, are there any error messages reported?
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Riskor-Idan

Old October 19th, 2011, 02:13 PM
No, the new item I added does not appear anywhere even though it says that it is ready to use. Am I supposed to log out of HL each time I add something to get it to load? Or can I add several things and then restart?

Riskor-Idan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lurch

Old October 20th, 2011, 06:17 AM
When your game system first loads in HL, there's a popup with a source checklist on the right; is the custom stuff you've created checked off on the list to make it active?
Lurch is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old October 20th, 2011, 07:36 AM
You shouldnt need to log out of HL each time you create a file or do an update. The test button at the top left of the editor screen does that for you. in fact if you have a character open in HL that incorporates the change you just made in the editor you will receive a message saying that.

from the ckecklist Mathis provided, i ddint see that you were saving the file anyplace. again if you press the test button it will require this to happen and gives you a message asking if you would like to save the file.

a few other questions though, are you in demo mode by chance? what type of changes are you making in the editor?

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Riskor-Idan

Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! I got it to show up now. I just have to get everything connected so all relatd info appears on the character sheet.

Also, did I read it right? I don't have to have the authoring kit to create a new game? (I'm looking to add both Star Wars D20 and Travellet T20).

Riskor-Idan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
The authoring kit is used to add new game systems from scratch.

Existing game systems can be copied, and you can alter them in the editor, but you will not be able to access the structural information about them - meaning you won't be able to add new categories of things to show up in the editor, or add new tabs to the main window. In order to have structural elements you can manipulate, you'd need to create the game from scratch with the authoring kit.

I'm not familiar with the d20 variants you're talking about, so I'm not sure if they can be accomplished by just edditing the d20 or Pathfinder files.
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Riskor-Idan

Old October 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Star Wars is from WotC and Traveller T20 is from QLI and RPG Realms. Both are very compatable with the only real difference is that T20 has 3 more abilities for the characters,(social standing, Soc. education, Edu. and psionic strength, Psi).

Riskor-Idan is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:29 PM
New ability scores aren't something you'll be able to add to an existing game system.
Mathias is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Riskor-Idan

Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
Authoring kit it is then...

Riskor-Idan is offline   #10 Reply With Quote