Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Warhammer 40K System do you want to see added to the Deathwatch system?
Dark Heresy 8 47.06%
Rogue Trader 5 29.41%
Black Crusade 0 0%
Only War 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 8th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
Huge necromancy here but must ask:

Is there anything for Warhammer 40k Roleplay in the wild?
Nope. Have not resolved the advancement issues yet.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 9th, 2018, 07:02 AM
Having Dark Heresy 2 already out, discontinued and Wrath & Glory that should arrive Q3 of 2018, what is the progress on the current packs?

What skills and tools are required to build ruleset (is this the term?) for Warhammer 40k?

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 9th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
Having Dark Heresy 2 already out, discontinued and Wrath & Glory that should arrive Q3 of 2018, what is the progress on the current packs?

What skills and tools are required to build ruleset (is this the term?) for Warhammer 40k?
Familiarity with XML source code, an ability to spend hours combing through these threads with a fine tooth comb looking for anything useful that isn't covered by the hero lab kit wiki (and there are quite a few topics missing there) and a lot of free time with nothing else to do but build structure file code. It does take a lot of time to do this. I have been doing it for nearly seven years now and it took me a lot of time to learn and get the hang of building structure files. You also need the Authoring Kit I think.

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 9th, 2018, 03:40 PM
{nods} But you don't have to own the Authoring Kit as long as you don't need to save or print characters.

The good news is that also, with a decent foundation in place, a lot of the data entry can be done via the Editor. Unfortunately, that's less than half of the work in most systems.
Duggan is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 9th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
{nods} But you don't have to own the Authoring Kit as long as you don't need to save or print characters.

The good news is that also, with a decent foundation in place, a lot of the data entry can be done via the Editor. Unfortunately, that's less than half of the work in most systems.
What I did for Vampire 20th Anniversary is to just create "Sample" things for data. Then I built the needed mechanics that the Character Sheet required and modified the Statblock output as I went. That is why V20 was done in One Month of coding. I did not put in the data as I went, there is far too much data to add for me to do on my own. I'd rather leave the actual data entry to the community. I built what I needed for the system and others will add the data for me.

Sadly I did not do this with Deathwatch and it took longer to create as a result. I don't recommend adding the data as you go, it will slow you down. Build just enough samples to cover what you need in the data.

Also you need the Authoring Kit License, Dugan is right you don't need it, but you do want it. If you intend to create a game system, then you definitely want to print and save sheets. It's very helpful to see sheet progress as you go along if you have the license.

RavenX is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 9th, 2018, 11:31 PM
I am willing to invest time in this, as Warhammer 40k is the primary setting I play and one of my favorite. With the new Wrath & Glory coming, it might be the refresh I have been looking for.

I haven't used Hero Labs myself, so I don't know how tedious the scripting part is and what kind of tools can be of help to automate or speed up the data entry process (I have all Dark Heresy 2 stuff into Realm Works, if there is way to export and import through some dark data manipulation)

I found a great looking PDF compiled from Noctifier (http://]https://forums.wolflair.com/...ad.php?t=49599) and will be browsing through it this weekend to get some feeling on the authoring process.

Valyar is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Duggan

Old March 10th, 2018, 06:31 AM
If you go to the Authoring Kit wiki, you can find a walkthrough for Savage Worlds, which gives you a general idea for the scope of implementing a system, with the caveat that the "skeleton" system they provide as a template isn't too far removed from Savage Worlds at the start.
Duggan is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old March 10th, 2018, 12:15 PM
Thank you for the link to this Wiki page, Duggan.

Valyar is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 10th, 2018, 03:06 PM
The hardest part of it is figuring out how to implement the XP costs. That's where I got stuck working on Deathwatch. And I'm too busy working on Old World of Darkness at the moment to work on my 40k rp file. Its been on the back burner for a long time now.

RavenX is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old March 10th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Biggest tip I can give you, as you are looking at coding these things, Start with your phases definitions. And know how to add a phase for your calculations. You may have to recalculate things later than the skeleton file is rigged to do. And that may require some tinkering with Phases.

RavenX is offline   #20 Reply With Quote