Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Acenoid

Old December 29th, 2016, 04:29 AM
Hello there!

Iam planning to buy a NAS system, due to the increasing need to backup my data (data, videos, photos, rpg stuff ecetera) locally and to distribute the data on my various devices in the network. Since I want to be secured for the next decades ( ) I am planning to buy a DS416 NAS system. (Another reason is that I don't want to trust my personal data to some external cloud service)

Now, what does this have to do with Realm Works?

Currently the realm works folders are stored on a local drive - and I think officially RW does not support network drives. One reason seems to be that the database is per "computer" and would need to be imported.

I work with RW on two devices (desktop and laptop) therefore I will require the export/import step on each system, once the cloud subscription expires.

Therefore I wanted to ask: Is somebody using RW and a NAS system? If so, what is your use case and what limitations would occur? Does it work with a single device?

Would it be possible if just one computer stores the database on the NAS (e.g. the desktop) and when I use the laptop, I would "import" data to the local harddrive from the NAS?

Cheers and thanks for your thoughts!

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old December 29th, 2016, 04:51 AM
I originally read the thread title as "Realm Works & NSA". I'm kinda disappointed that this has nothing to do with a government agency stealing our campaign secrets. . . .
Dr_Automaton is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
mazzy

Old December 29th, 2016, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_automaton View Post
i originally read the thread title as "realm works & nsa". I'm kinda disappointed that this has nothing to do with a government agency stealing our campaign secrets. . . .
roflmao!! :d
mazzy is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old December 29th, 2016, 08:02 AM
My understanding is that RealmWorks is using the internal Windows paths for "Program Data" and "AppData" (for your individual user profile). The version of Windows that you are using will greatly affect this.. Windows 10 puts the user data on the boot drive (typically C) and resists efforts to move that. Using a symbolic link to identify another location is possible, but there is always the risk that something in a Windows update will break that.

In that sense, the mobility from machine to machine of the data is limited to Export/Import or synchronizing via the cloud service - on a practical level. As I said, there may be a trick or two you can use, but any such efforts are usually a) unsupported and b) at risk of unexpected failure due to changes in the underlying OS.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 29th, 2016, 08:14 AM
I recently purchased a WD MyCloud Mirror device. Probably not a direct NAS, but I used WDSync to keep a constant copy of "My Documents" backed up to the device.

With a 1.5GB realm file it does take quite a while to copy the realm file from my PC to the MyCloud device. Actually, at the moment, it is copying over the backups which are created in "My Documents\Realm Works" (but not the "Master.realm" stored under %AppData".)

I could easily set up the %AppData% on each machine to be synced to the MyCloud device, but I prefer having separate files synced from the cloud.

You could certainly use the NAS as a transfer medium between the two devices - just follow the existing procedure for manual backup/restore.
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 29th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Each computer that Realm Works runs on needs a unique identifier for proper operation. This identifier is stored in the database. So if you copy the database around without doing a backup/restore or (worse) share a single database file between to machines through a NAS, each time you start up on a different machine, it has to contact our servers for a new identifier. So please do not do either of those things.
davidp is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old December 29th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Reasons I never even dreamed of putting RW on my NAS drive include...

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old December 29th, 2016, 03:19 PM
This talk of storage is giving me nightmares...

!!! Noo not the 3PAR !!!

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 1st, 2017, 02:39 PM
hrm 3par might be not be the most cost-efficient solution for me I also don't want to get nightmares when I see the prices

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 1st, 2017, 03:57 PM
I don't mind, eventually, paying LWD for cloud storage but would like some more flexibility in local storage options.

For instance I was looking at a windows tablet that has a SSD that is just big enough for Win 10. Which really isn't a problem for most apps as it has an SD card slot and a USB 3.0 slot both of which look like drives to the OS. But %appdata% would want to be on the SSD and while I could redirect that it wouldn't be reliable.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote