Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JuliusderBastler

Old August 14th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Is there another mac user active in EA?

What have you used? Bootcamp, Parallels? How does it work?

(Info: There is no OSx Version of RW. Maybe later )
JuliusderBastler is offline   #1
ambroseji

Old August 14th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I've been running it in Parallels and it seems to be doing fine.

The game has crashed a few times, but I don't think it's related to parallels at all.
ambroseji is offline   #2
diane

Old August 14th, 2013, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusderBastler View Post
Is there another mac user active in EA?

What have you used? Bootcamp, Parallels? How does it work?

(Info: There is no OSx Version of RW. Maybe later )
I use VMWare fusion running the Win 7 partition I installed via bootcamp on my mac
diane is offline   #3
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 14th, 2013, 08:41 PM
We're running Realm Works on two Mac Minis in the booth here at GenCon using VMWare Fusion. And one of our developers runs RW under Fusion on his MacBook Air.
rob is offline   #4
diane

Old August 14th, 2013, 09:50 PM
You'll find you have dramatically less battery life when running windows either natively or as a virtual machine on a mac. I always keep it plugged in.
diane is offline   #5
MugMug

Old August 25th, 2013, 07:04 PM
I have several pieces of software running flawlessly in a Windows 7 virtual machine using Parallels. I run a virtual machine within OSX--I haven't bothered with BootCamp in a couple years.
MugMug is offline   #6
chiefweasel

Old August 27th, 2013, 07:49 AM
The latest version of HL seems to have encountered some serious Mac issues for me. It has totally crashed HL and I can not run it at all, cant even unistall and install it again.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #7
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 28th, 2013, 12:33 AM
@chiefweasel: Are you referring to Hero Lab here? Or Realm Works? Your post says "HL", yet you posted in the RW forums. Please clarify so we can investigate and respond appropriately...
rob is offline   #8
Tekwych

Old November 16th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I am a Realm Works KS backer and use all Macs, I do enjoy using Hero Lab for Mac as well. That said I have no interest whatsoever in screwing my Macs up by adding VM Fusion or Parallels. When can we expect a Mac version of Realm Works?
Tekwych is offline   #9
mezme

Old November 18th, 2013, 03:44 AM
chiefweasel, what error message do you get ? Early versions of RW have crashed and refused to start again on my Mac. I was able to fix it, using the previous version in some case.

Tekwych, you will not mess your mac if you run a VM software on it. You do need a reasonably recent mac, enough HD space and about 4 more Gig of RAM more to do it with reasonable performance do. I use Parallels but I hear good things from VM fusion.

Another solution is to partition your HD with Bootcamp. This require less resources and is not an emulator. Your Mac become a Windows PC. You cannot run Mac software at the same time if you do that do.

I use Parallels (latest version), here are some recomendations:
- Run your VM in a window. Blend ui like coherence (in Parallels) make RW less stable.
- Backup on a regular basis. This is a beta release, il will mess your data once in a while. This is also the way to transfer your data from one computer to another. At least until server sync in live.
- The more RAM your VM has, the better. My iMac run it much smoother with 16 Gig than my MacBook with 4.
- Keep a copy of the installer of the last working version. At least one release refused to run on a VM for me.
- Keep a second empty realm. If the main realm get corrupted and refuse to start, use the empty one to get to get to the manage tab and restore from your backup.
- Deleting your preff file sometime let you open your realm and delete the corrupted element. The preff file is at C:\Users\[##USERNAME on your pc##]\AppData\Roaming\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works. You may have to interpret based on the way your VM work.
- Use the report feature for bugs and describe your setup, including the VM you use. Something like : "On a Mac running Parallels vX.X"

Last edited by mezme; November 18th, 2013 at 03:58 AM.
mezme is offline   #10