Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Chemlak

Old July 27th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Thanks, Rob.

I have to say that I've been pretty silent on the calendar feature for a while now, simply because I understand that getting stuff (read: shed load of coding that would be gibberish to me) ready for sharing is important. Really, really, REALLY important. So the calendar takes a back seat to some fundamental architecture because right now it is more important to get player edition live. And to get the community repository live. And the marketplace. And... well, you get the idea.

Those features will make RW a more desirable application to more people. Which means more money for LWD. The calendar is effectively a QoL feature. A really important one, but still QoL, rather than marketable.

And I'm positive that LWD know how important the calendar is as a QoL feature. I just won't begrudge them trying to make more money from features that sell.
Chemlak is offline   #111 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old July 27th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Thank you for the very prompt reply, rob; sorry it took a day or so to get back here to say so.

It is heartening to know that it is being worked on, even if not specifically stated.

I also acknowledge the points that Chemlak made, and like him, I DO want this marketable to as many peeps as possible.

So I'll just try very hard to chillax, and enjoy what we get and try to keep the 'really-want-calendar-twitching' under control.
weogarth is offline   #112 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old July 30th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
..........Those features will make RW a more desirable application to more people. Which means more money for LWD. The calendar is effectively a QoL feature. A really important one, but still QoL, rather than marketable.

And I'm positive that LWD know how important the calendar is as a QoL feature. I just won't begrudge them trying to make more money from features that sell.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogarth
So I'll just try very hard to chillax, and enjoy what we get and try to keep the 'really-want-calendar-twitching' under control
Like Chemlak, I wont begrudge LWD from trying to create capital from selling their products (we all sell something, that is why we are in business), BUT unlike Chemlak, I have not been quite as quiet about the calendar issue.

I would only add, that LWD products will only be desirable in the long run if they deliver on promises already made before progressing to new promises.

They have defined their focus to be the release of the player addition (which will produce revenue (from myself included)), We have Rob's assurances that the other promises of the kickstarter will be addressed after the player edition release (calendar, print capabilities, etc).... time will tell.

And like Weogarth, I'll just try to "chill" awaiting and enjoying what we do get.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #113 Reply With Quote
Mettius

Old August 2nd, 2014, 10:22 AM
+1 also. Need to be able to "make live" custom calendars.
Mettius is offline   #114 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old August 8th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Can't remember if I posted for this thread, but it is the single most important feature for me next to player vew.

As a GM I always have calendar, as well as a player calender for tracking time/events important to the story and plots. The idea of that being in RW is just drool worthy and one of the main reasons i bought RW.

Now like many I was midly disappointed it was not there, however I am bulding a campaigh right now from ground up, so I have load sof time before I "need" a calendar feature, or even player view for that matter. However I did buy it on the ideal that those would be there and usable.

Once player edition is done, please put this to the top of the pile, how can one have the premiere campaign management software, if it can't track time passing?

Keep up the great work LWD!! Between HL and RW, you have the market cornered!
Exmortis is offline   #115 Reply With Quote
kad

Old August 11th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Can't remember if I posted for this thread, but it is the single most important feature for me next to player view.
I have to say, for me the calendar feature is FAR more important than the player view. The lack of a working custom calendar system is preventing me from properly loading at least half of the data I need to. And having to go back and update all the calendar entries later is going to be a major pain the a$$. Besides the lack of a bulk import method, I'm loving the software otherwise.

Just my $0.02

-K
kad is offline   #116 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 15th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad View Post
I have to say, for me the calendar feature is FAR more important than the player view. The lack of a working custom calendar system is preventing me from properly loading at least half of the data I need to. And having to go back and update all the calendar entries later is going to be a major pain the a$$. Besides the lack of a bulk import method, I'm loving the software otherwise.

Just my $0.02

-K
Your 2cp & mine are right together,

As the "fast approaching" players addition is on the horizon, it will arrive with a thud if players can't utilize a journal feature WITH custom calendars. It wold render it near worthless without such.
Defining where I traveled, what I found, who I met is ALL dependent on WHEN such events occurred.

It is comparable to taking a good book (RW in this case)and removing the page numbers and shuffling them like cards and then "revealing" only some of the characters and plot points to the reader (player) and expecting them to know what came first and how it relates.

LW suggests the player version is the highest demand ( jury still out on this one) combing all the reviews, feedback, comments I could glean from all public sources, I can say ( posted in another thread) that there were comments and requests for player support, but hardly a landslide. The lack of a custom calendar system and printing where covered equally as much.
First and foremost RW is suppose to be a campaign management tool. Not a Vertual Table Top, nor a map maker, etc, but a campaign manager.

How can DMs ( or GMs for you younger gen groups) "manage" a world that has rounds, turns, hours, days, weeks, months, seasons, holidays with no tool to manage the passing of time?
Hopefully for Christmas we will be pleasantly surprised.
Till then as others have mentioned . I utilize RW solely for consolidating data, not displaying it, as it is a cake not quite finished baking.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #117 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old August 19th, 2014, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
Your 2cp & mine are right together,

As the "fast approaching" players addition is on the horizon, it will arrive with a thud if players can't utilize a journal feature WITH custom calendars. It wold render it near worthless without such.
Defining where I traveled, what I found, who I met is ALL dependent on WHEN such events occurred.

It is comparable to taking a good book (RW in this case)and removing the page numbers and shuffling them like cards and then "revealing" only some of the characters and plot points to the reader (player) and expecting them to know what came first and how it relates.

LW suggests the player version is the highest demand ( jury still out on this one) combing all the reviews, feedback, comments I could glean from all public sources, I can say ( posted in another thread) that there were comments and requests for player support, but hardly a landslide. The lack of a custom calendar system and printing where covered equally as much.
First and foremost RW is suppose to be a campaign management tool. Not a Vertual Table Top, nor a map maker, etc, but a campaign manager.

How can DMs ( or GMs for you younger gen groups) "manage" a world that has rounds, turns, hours, days, weeks, months, seasons, holidays with no tool to manage the passing of time?
Till then as others have mentioned . I utilize RW solely for consolidating data, not displaying it, as it is a cake not quite finished baking.
I am surprised at the demand for printing, I myself cannot wait for RW player view so I never ever ever ever have to print a single thing again. With so many tools available to me, from paint to catography programs, to my hand drawn/written stuff scanned in and then shared through a electronic means, why would anyone want to return to the mess of papers of ye olde days?

RW has already meant that I can now forgo all printed info, I already provide players with a campaign document in word format, now all the information and would be handouts/maps will be handled by RW and player view, outstanding! No loss of paper, no player not showing up with right piece, no messy pile of shrapnel laying all over the game table. Clean organized play!

But each to their own.
Exmortis is offline   #118 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old August 19th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Quote:
RW has already meant that I can now forgo all printed info, I already provide players with a campaign document in word format, now all the information and would be handouts/maps will be handled by RW and player view, outstanding! No loss of paper, no player not showing up with right piece, no messy pile of shrapnel laying all over the game table. Clean organized play!
It's not necessarily about printing so much as export.

If we could export to text, and then print from another program, awesome. If we could select all the text in a topic and copy it en masse and get a reasonably formatted text block on the clipboard, cool. If we could export a realm as an HTML document, fantastic. If we could create a PDF of our almanac and get it in a "One Topic Per Page" dump, marvelous.

We could take any of those things and print or publish or save as we want.

I truly believe that the call for printing is not so much that people desperately want paper at the table (though that's true for some), it's that I've put all of this information IN to realmworks and I have absolutely no way of getting it OUT.

Last edited by MaxSupernova; August 19th, 2014 at 07:32 AM.
MaxSupernova is offline   #119 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 19th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
The lack of a custom calendar system and printing where covered equally as much.

I'm right there with everyone else wanting the calendar. My PCs will be battling werewolves soon and you know the importance of a calendar and moon phases with werewolves. But we need to realize that LW is busting their butts trying to get all parts done. They are a small company which means a small amount of employees. They aren't like Micro$oft (thank goodness) who has millions of dollars and thousands of employees to do the coding so it will take time. Unlike Micro$oft LW wants to make sure there are as few bugs as possible when they release a feature.

I met the LW team at GenCon, went to their seminars and even dragged my laptop in Sunday to get help from them. They were always helpful, friendly and willing to answer any questions people had. By Sunday they looked exhausted but Rob took the time to help me with a question I had when I brought my laptop in (many thanks Rob, your explanation really helped). Yes, we all want and need the calendar plus any number of promised features that we're waiting for, but realize how much we already have to work with.

We also need to realize that LW is basically inventing a wheel that has never been invented before. I'm sure in a few years there will be copycats releasing their versions, but LW is breaking the ground for a program that we GMs only dreamed of. Bravo LW!!!
ruhar is offline   #120 Reply With Quote