Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Raistlindantilus

Old January 30th, 2020, 03:38 PM
Any hint, even a small one, that LW might reverse their position on RW and resume development?

Edit: I mean with YARPS seriously considering and seemingly working toward an RW import tool, really LW? You really gonna just let these upstarts take away your customers? That's kinda not smart....

Edit2: Yeah the world has moved to a subscription pay-as-you-go service model for pretty much everything and Realm Works was a buy and its yours model which crippled income. They attempted a pay as you go service model with server sync but for people who only use one PC server sync was obviously not the cash cow they had imagined, and the marketplace flopped for various yet unclear reasons.

It seems an additional feature, that people actually want and are willing to pay a subscription cost for, could revive the software and make it worth developing from a monetary standpoint.

Nevermind its worth developing from the altruistic standpoint of actually providing something to the world that makes people's lives better....no one cares about that kinda stuff anyway I'm sure. It's all about that money.

Last edited by Raistlindantilus; January 30th, 2020 at 04:19 PM.
Raistlindantilus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 30th, 2020, 04:16 PM
YARPS is a web app, so it won't take everybody away...

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Raistlindantilus

Old January 30th, 2020, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
YARPS is a web app, so it won't take everybody away...
If it takes me it would be VERY reluctantly.

I'm not a fan of the web-app idea....however if the web-app had all or almost all of the functionality RW offers, was still under active development, AND had an RW import function...well....I don't think anyone in their right mind could say no to that.

Edit: But I mean from a purely logical standpoint if a competitor is willing to create an import tool for YOUR product that means you still have a recognizable market share. I can't for the life of me fathom why any company would not capitalize on that market share and just stand idly by while someone else attempts to take it over.
Raistlindantilus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 30th, 2020, 06:13 PM
TBH I'll believe the Yarps stuff when I see it.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old January 30th, 2020, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlindantilus View Post
If it takes me it would be VERY reluctantly.

Edit: But I mean from a purely logical standpoint if a competitor is willing to create an import tool for YOUR product that means you still have a recognizable market share. I can't for the life of me fathom why any company would not capitalize on that market share and just stand idly by while someone else attempts to take it over.
Personally I do not think the market is big enough to support this kind of product. Yarps kickstarter had 230 people.. That's not much of a market.
Toblakai is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 31st, 2020, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
Personally I do not think the market is big enough to support this kind of product. Yarps kickstarter had 230 people.. That's not much of a market.
The Realm Works Kickstarter has 1,836 people!

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 31st, 2020, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The Realm Works Kickstarter has 1,836 people!
Unfortunately the number of GM's who build their own worlds rather than running prepackaged modules in a prepackaged world seems to be declining steadily.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old January 31st, 2020, 12:22 PM
I would pay full price for a nice update like "RW 2020" edition. Fixing stuff and improving performance. But all of that will not come I think, if they plan to re-use parts of RW in their other tools.

I hope they will come back to senses and will continue with RW.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Raistlindantilus

Old January 31st, 2020, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acenoid View Post
I would pay full price for a nice update like "RW 2020" edition. Fixing stuff and improving performance. But all of that will not come I think, if they plan to re-use parts of RW in their other tools.

I hope they will come back to senses and will continue with RW.
I'm with you. They could take RW full-blown Software-As-A-Service and I would pay.

Never have I seen someone have the best product and just abandon it to the vultures like this. It's really shocking.
Raistlindantilus is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 31st, 2020, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlindantilus View Post
I'm with you. They could take RW full-blown Software-As-A-Service and I would pay.

Never have I seen someone have the best product and just abandon it to the vultures like this. It's really shocking.
As KBS possibly hinted, the number of active users in RW might be insufficient to make the product worthwhile - especially when the cost of IP sharing and PDF verification is added into the bundle.

Farling

Farling is offline   #10 Reply With Quote