Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TCArknight

Old October 6th, 2016, 06:43 PM
Hi all!

What would be the typical way to handle this?

Quote:
X have the Heroic or Overconfident Hindrance for no additional points (the other may be chosen as normal).
I know in PF I would just use a chooser and assign a tag, but that's not available in SW, right?
TCArknight is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old October 6th, 2016, 07:09 PM
The typical way is to make two versions of the race. Then, put the race name in the Short Name field and that is what will display. So "Elf (Overconfident)" and "Elf (Heroic)" with "Elf" for the Short Name for both of them.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old October 6th, 2016, 07:11 PM
They have put far more work into the Pathfinder materials. Which makes sense since they continually make money off it. Savage Worlds was an earlier attempt and for the most part has stayed that way, with Caped Crusader making most (all?) of the advances since then.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 7th, 2016, 12:44 PM
We kind of shot ourselves in the foot by doing the fan-written Setting files.

You could also use the Faction/Group mechanism for this, if you aren't using it for something else in the Setting.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old October 8th, 2016, 06:25 AM
To be honest SW wasn't really getting much in the way of settings file direct from Lone Wolf anyway. I was working on some for my own group anyway, though, so I decided to make a concerted effort a while back to put out as many of the PEG, Inc. settings as I could. If any thing I think the lack of settings files before then probably hindered HL sales for Savage Worlds. I'd like to think that all of the additional files that are now available make HL a little more attractive option for the SW players and GMs out there and that might be the only chance to really get a little more effort pushed towards Savage Worlds configuration. I guess it could be a bit of a chicken and egg scenario, but honestly I don't think the SW market was all that great before our freely available fan-made files so even if LoneWolf had made an effort to sell them they probably wouldn't have amounted to being enough to make it worth continuing, so we'd be back to having to make free fan-made files. I don't know, hopefully the fan files have at least helped to drive some sales, but I'm guessing in either scenario it's still not enough to make it as worthwhile for LoneWolf to really focus extra resources our way.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old October 8th, 2016, 11:31 AM
One thing I have done is create a "Racial" tab to display the Racial abilities and racial properties. (BTW, what is the typical difference between these two in terms of what makes an ability a property and what a racial ability?)

I can do a chooser on this for the two hinderences, but what would be the best way to keep both from showing if one was chosen on the racial chooser, and the other selected later on the Edge tab?
TCArknight is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 8th, 2016, 11:39 AM
Well, face it, the Savage Worlds community is a move-forward bunch. We have a tendency to take care of things ourselves.
When SW was new, the community started making these files ourselves instead of waiting for Lone Wolf to take care of it. They had to deal with licensing and all of that, and we kind of blew past it. Game companies can get a little nervous about products like this. There's a possibility that if it's TOO good, customers won't need to buy their game books. If everything in the Player's Guide is in Hero Lab, do they need the player's guide?
So, we have better fan support than Pathfinder, but in a weird way because of that we kind of have to depend on the fan support.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old October 8th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Racial Property has a cost associated with it. Racial Ability does not.

I have started to create a "Custom Race" entry that uses unique rewards to buy the racial properties, and it bootstraps a 0-cost edge that allows the person to name it, and that is what is displayed.

Another way to do the hindrances is to have it bootstrap a unique hindrance that the race only uses, and then have an eval script that makes it appear to be the correct hindrance when it is printed off. However, this only works for a print-out and really the easiest way is to do the two versions of the same races as above -- the reason being that conditional bootstrapping does not work for SW.

SeeleyOne is offline   #8 Reply With Quote