Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

chiefweasel

Old September 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I was a bit confused with this as well. HL is a character builder not a kingdom builder. So I'm not sure a lot of the rules would even be applicable to HL.

Mind you I would love to see a kingdom generator. Something where you put in paramets and can watch it grow over time. maybe even have a map br automatically created as it grows as well.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 5th, 2013, 10:09 AM
chiefweasel,

You should check out the work done in Shadowrun. They can handle kingdom creation in Hero Lab. We have vehicle creation and creation for many things in there. Hero Lab handles it all quite well. Based on the work done in that area, the kingdom building isn't much different, and its a big component from Ult. Camp. Not something I'd expect done quickly.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 5th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I think that a kingdom generator might be better fit for Realm Works.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old September 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeleyOne View Post
I think that a kingdom generator might be better fit for Realm Works.
Considering that the kingdom generation that they're talking about is player controlled, and is essentially a kingdom "character" for a player (or group of players) to manage, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Realm Works would be better served integrating things like the settlement rules and such from the GameMastery Guide, as that is campaign setting stuff, instead of a character by a different name.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:17 AM
I guess my issue is this: how would more than one player manipulate the data? How could a group of players alter the details of their kingdom?

I think that the best way would be to have the kingdom be a "character" that is accessible to all of the players involved. Aside from emailing it with the changes to everyone, I do not see a way to do this in a gaming group. At least with Realm Works there is already a sort of cloud service in use, and a particular kingdom would be linked to a specific realm.

That is why I recommended Realm Works versus Hero Lab for this situation.

Evil wins because good rolls poorly .... or the players are not paying enough attention to the game.
SeeleyOne is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 6th, 2013, 09:30 AM
When playing a kingdom with pen and paper, you'll most likely designate a single record keeper to write all the details about the kingdom down. That stays the same - the record keeper will simply be recording things in Hero Lab, rather than on paper.
Mathias is online now   #16 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 6th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
When playing a kingdom with pen and paper, you'll most likely designate a single record keeper to write all the details about the kingdom down. That stays the same - the record keeper will simply be recording things in Hero Lab, rather than on paper.
Yep the same as when playing through Jade Reagent AP and one person would keep the records for the Caravan. Same idea here. Besides I would be shocked to find more than one person that gets any fun out of "record" keeping to be in a group.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old September 6th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
. . . I would be shocked to find more than one person that gets any fun out of "record" keeping to be in a group.
Or even one
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
jacook

Old September 6th, 2013, 12:15 PM
So, just to throw out a bone to the developers, I am finishing up an excel sheet to handle kingdoms. I'm about 80% through it and it is a BITCH. So I feel their pain. There is a lot of data entry and a HUGE amount of dependencies. I'm seeing IF statements in my sleep.
jacook is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
SeeleyOne

Old September 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Being a fellow Excel-wielder, I can totally understand. Excel can do more than most people give it credit for. Sometimes VLOOKUP and HLOOKUPs are better than using a ton of IF statements.

I might have some other ideas that could help you. One thing to keep in mind is this: you are the creator, not the user. Other people will mess with it in ways that will baffle you. I learned the hard way to make it obvious where and how the user will enter or modify the data. I have also learned to "stupid proof" it, which is best done by hiding rows and then hiding the row and column headers.

Now that I have delved more deeply into the realm of actual programming my Excel days might be over. So far the only languages that I can program in are Java and C++.

SeeleyOne is offline   #20 Reply With Quote