Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

daplunk

Old November 15th, 2017, 01:11 PM
Yeah agree 64bit needs to happen. I've spoken to Rob about it previously and it's definitely something he wants to do.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old November 15th, 2017, 02:12 PM
I hope this can improve the rendering of new tabs and all DB related operations as well. . with 16GB of RAM, latest i7 and SSD the program is sluggish.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old November 16th, 2017, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Yeah agree 64bit needs to happen. I've spoken to Rob about it previously and it's definitely something he wants to do.
Yes, but given the speed I've seen so far probably not in my life expectancy.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
joepacelli

Old November 16th, 2017, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I don't own Cosmographer 3 yet.... yet. That's someone else's galaxy map and I still need more than half of the annuals but the black friday sale is a few days away
What Black Friday sale?
joepacelli is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 16th, 2017, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
I hope this can improve the rendering of new tabs and all DB related operations as well. . with 16GB of RAM, latest i7 and SSD the program is sluggish.
A 32 bit program is limited to at most 4 GB of RAM and more likely only 2 GB.

An SSD will help in reading data faster, assuming RW is on the SSD. The i7 may or may not help. RW does not seem to be terribly cpu bound most of the time. I've had an R5 1600 for about 6 months and I've tracked my performance in RW compared to my old 4 core i5 and there hasn't been much of a gain, same SSD and amount of RAM.

I'm convinced that the biggest performance boost, after some of my .NET programs went from 32 bit to 64 bit, is for RW to migrate to 64 bit even if that means changing UI libraries.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old November 16th, 2017, 07:11 AM
CC2/CC3/CC3+ does integrate with the old AD&D Core rules 2.0 so you can have it pull up monster stats, treasure, etc. for a location on a map.

CC3/CC3+ can be set up to to pull up a text file, PDF, run an exe via setting up a map link. Map links are usually done to link to other maps to make an interactive Atlas. One of the CC3 Annuals covered this and they had a free CC2 tutorial PDF with a zip of maps to show how this is done in the older CC2 program.

I don't know any way you can have the link go to a specific Realm and entry in RW. You can get it to launch RW via a map link I believe.

RW can read the FCW files as was pointed out. you need to export your image and resize if needed.

Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. Usually they have a sale on stuff.

Also if you do plan to buy CC3/CC3+ buy a bundle and make sure you get at the least CC3 & DD3. You'll be able to do over land maps and dungeon/interior ones for Fantasy settings.

I did a in depth look of the major mapping programs about a year and a half ago along with the pros and cons of each. So I can look for the Word file I have it in and post that info in the next week or two when I find it if you like. I had planned to post it to this forum since people were asking on what programs to use to make maps with a lot and I had worked up a huge amount of info I never posted.

Oh and since daplunk mention Fantasy Grounds that usually goes on sale on Black Friday too. If you want to upgrade the free version or get modules, etc for it.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 16th, 2017, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_NOLA View Post
RW can read the FCW files as was pointed out. you need to export your image and resize if needed.
Maybe I'm missing something... What do you mean "export your image?" Are you talking about saving it as a .jpg (or .png/etc)?
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old November 16th, 2017, 12:09 PM
Yes. RW cannot display CC3-files, only the normal graphic formats.
tkarn is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 16th, 2017, 12:45 PM
That's what I thought. So RW doesn't actually interface with CC3 (or FT). You make your map with those programs (or Paint/Photoshop/etc) and save them as an image.

That's a very different thing...
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 16th, 2017, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joepacelli View Post
What Black Friday sale?
The last few years there has been a Black Friday sale at the ProFantasy website. Was 30% off last year I believe. I'm waiting very patiently (for about 7 months now) to purchase everything in one hit haha.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #20 Reply With Quote