Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

JackOfAllGames

Old July 13th, 2014, 01:17 PM
I have one realm in the works and would like to create a second, using the first as its base (the goal being to tinker with the base game system in a separate sandbox, not messing with existing work).

So...does anyone know how one would go about cloning a realm?
JackOfAllGames is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old July 13th, 2014, 03:20 PM
You can't yet, and likely won't be able to do so until sharing is implemented. (You would share the realm with yourself to get a new "copy".)

I have a realm that's in the same boat. :/

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old July 13th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
You can't yet, and likely won't be able to do so until sharing is implemented. (You would share the realm with yourself to get a new "copy".)

I have a realm that's in the same boat. :/
Ah, a shame. Thanks for the info. I'll just have to figure out what I want to do in the meantime. It's a shame that the basic structure doesn't look like any database that I'm familiar with (at least, not at first glance, though I'm currently looking into Firebird SQL for a match). Does anyone know how one would go about tinkering within the RealmWorks database?

EDIT: Looks like it does make use of Firebird SQL, though I'm not at all familiar with that one. Not sure it'll be worth digging in that deep, but if anyone has info, I'd still be interested.

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; July 13th, 2014 at 03:54 PM.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 16th, 2014, 02:17 PM
We don't recommend tinkering with your database. Keep in mind that in order to support syncing across devices, we have a copy of your data on our servers. Altering your local data by hand in the database could result in you losing some or all of your local work when you sync with the server, and could even cause problems with your server-stored data depending on what you modify.

This is especially important because, as Parody mentioned, the way we plan on handling "cloning" a realm is through a packaging and sharing mechanism, which will likely involve the server in some way.

Even if you happen to get your hand modifications working locally without connecting to the server, it might prevent you from connecting and syncing successfully in the future, thus preventing you from using the future official packaging and sharing features, and possibly more. The only way out of this situation would be wiping your local data and getting whatever you last synced to the server, which could be quite old and result in a lot of lost work.

In short: don't do it.
Joe is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old July 17th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
We don't recommend tinkering with your database.
[snip]
In short: don't do it.
I see. Not the answer I'd been hoping for, but completely understandable considering the online components. I certainly don't want to cause trouble for you guys (and I plan to make use of the online features like syncing data between computers).

Someday, I might still like to learn to read data FROM the local RealmWorks database, but I'll respect the wishes of your company and try to be patient. =)

Last edited by JackOfAllGames; July 17th, 2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Edited...for great justic...err...clarity.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Jhalad

Old November 13th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Any change on this? I'm planning on running two seperate campaigns for Curse of the Crimson Throne and would like to NOT have to type in everything twice if I can.
Jhalad is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old November 13th, 2016, 10:20 AM
When the content market is released in the next couple weeks, you will be able to duplicate your realm. This should be any day now, literally.
Bidmaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Jhalad

Old November 13th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Sweet!!!!!!!!
Jhalad is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 13th, 2016, 11:16 AM
So much to do once I can separate my Realm out into realms! Such exciting times.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 13th, 2016, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidmaron View Post
When the content market is released in the next couple weeks, you will be able to duplicate your realm. This should be any day now, literally.
That's not exactly correct. The export/import logic will be releasing along with the Content Market, but that will be occurring in DECEMBER. It will, however, be available to the Beta team for testing with the November release this coming week.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote