Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Avarice

Old October 25th, 2020, 09:01 PM
Hello all!

I like to play around with odd builds for recreation sometimes in-between adventures. I keep hitting a wall when I am slapping archetypes onto casters:

"Level too high to support psionics!"

This occurs every time I exceed Caster Level 21 in a given class. I assume that this is a limitation of any given base caster class being capped out at 20? Is there any way to bypass this by toggling options in the Configure Hero settings, or would any workaround require creating custom classes instead?

Is the issue stopping me from enjoying the system/program: nope! Just a thing that'd be neat to be able to bypass. For example, I realize many spells are capped at CL20 as far as maximum effects, but some others aren't, at it would be neat to have Hero Lab handy to track a character that could do those CL40 spells like Disintegrate and other open-ceiling spells.
Avarice is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old October 26th, 2020, 07:25 AM
d20 HL generally caps out at level 20. There isn't a setting that can change this. That said, that seems like a weird error. Could be a bug related specifically to psionics, but without access to the source code I'm afraid I can't be sure.

Also, what do you mean by Archetype? That's a Pathfinder thing.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Avarice

Old October 26th, 2020, 05:41 PM
Archetype, oops, I meant Prestige Class. I spent so long in Pathfinder 1E that its irrevocably meshed into my perception of D20/3.5E.

I do believe its a consequence of any class being capped L20, and the class that's being elevated rolls over to null value as soon as you exceed 20 levels of spellcasting from the prestige classes boosting its levels.

Its completely impractical in the scope of most games, as Mythic Spellcasting is itself kind of abstract, but it would've been neat to see how many prestiges boosting a given concept I could get to, and how silly some spells could be magnified to.

That being said, I did notice a six-class limit as well before the program has issues displaying skill points.
Avarice is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Illyahr

Old October 27th, 2020, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarice View Post
I do believe its a consequence of any class being capped L20, and the class that's being elevated rolls over to null value as soon as you exceed 20 levels of spellcasting from the prestige classes boosting its levels.

Its completely impractical in the scope of most games, as Mythic Spellcasting is itself kind of abstract, but it would've been neat to see how many prestiges boosting a given concept I could get to, and how silly some spells could be magnified to.

I've encountered this issue and that's exactly what is happening. It's a core system issue: you are trying to tell the system to increase caster level to a point beyond what it recognizes. As far as the system knows, the numbers only go from 1-20. 21 doesn't exist so it can't figure out how to handle it.
Illyahr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote