Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kizan

Old August 11th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I can't figure out how to edit a PC's gp. I've looked and looked. Someone please point it out to me?

Thanx,

Kizan
Kizan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Paris.Crenshaw

Old August 11th, 2011, 08:13 AM
There are a couple ways to edit a Player Character's gold. The most direct ways are to:

1. Go into the "Configure Hero..." window and edit the character's starting gold (right under the starting level selection).

2. In the journal tab, you can give a PC money. To take money away, just enter a negative value.

If you are using an NPC and don't want to switch him over to a PC temporarily to use the options above, there are two ways that you can "trick" HL into giving your NPC gold.

1. In the Gear tab, add an item and pay "negative" gold for it. (For example, choose to add "Custom gear" and then give it a value of -200 gold pieces.) Then, go back and remove the item. Even selling it for 100% of its value will yield a return of 0 gp, but you'll still have the money in your Wealth total and HL will automatically calculate the weight.

2. Under "Configure Hero", temporarily make the NPC into a PC to restore the Journal tab. Add your required wealth and then go back into "Configure Hero" to make the character an NPC, again.

Both of these methods require a few more clicks, but they accomplish what you're looking for without too much trouble.

I hope these help!
Paris.Crenshaw is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old August 11th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Thanx Paris!

I think I was looking for a spot that was just "this is how much money the PC has in their pocket". I guess that doesn't exist. Seems like it should.

Thanx,

Kizan
Kizan is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Illrigger

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizan View Post
Thanx Paris!

I think I was looking for a spot that was just "this is how much money the PC has in their pocket". I guess that doesn't exist. Seems like it should.

Thanx,

Kizan
It's a bit of a change in thinking. In most character generators, equipment is just added without any real accounting on the intake side. Hero Lab is designed to account for each session (or even each encounter if you want to get that granular) via the Journal section. This takes a little getting used to, but in the end it's a big step forward because you can go back to each entry and look up how much money and XP you made from each encounter. This allows you to easily tell the forgetful guy who didn't write something down, or the absent guy who the GM ran last week how much money and XP they should be adding.

It's especially great for GMs, because it helps them be able to check up and catch any "mistakes" that players may have made on a session by session basis (we've all had "that player" in a game who manages to somehow afford more stuff than everyone else).
Illrigger is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Paris.Crenshaw

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Also, when you're looking for "cash on hand" you can always look at the character's wealth information at the top of the page. If you mouse over that number, a "help text" window will pop up with the breakdown of how many of each type of coin the character has. This is separate from the Gear value, which tells you how much your PC's gear is worth, which is helpful when comparing against the Wealth by Level chart.
Paris.Crenshaw is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Kizan

Old August 11th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I want to be able to easily CHANGE the gp in hand not just see it.

Thanx,

Kizan
Kizan is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Illrigger

Old August 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizan View Post
I want to be able to easily CHANGE the gp in hand not just see it.

Thanx,

Kizan
There are three ways to legitimately change the gold in hand: earning more (done via the Journal tab), losing what you have (also done via the Journal tab, via negative numbers), or spending it (done via the Weapon, Armor, Magic Item and Gear tabs). All leave nice historical records of the process that you and your GM can reference.

If you want a fast way to modify gold on hand, buy a 1GP item, and then sell it for whatever gold amount you want by manually entering that amount (+1 for the original gold). This will update the cash on hand and total equipment value fields, still tracking the change.

It's a LOT simpler to just create a new journal entry, tho.
Illrigger is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
you can also use the configure hero option and just add what gold you would like.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Unseelie

Old August 12th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefweasel View Post
you can also use the configure hero option and just add what gold you would like.
This raises a question, how can I get a value of 0GP to stick for new heroes?
Unseelie is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 12th, 2011, 09:26 AM
you mean assign 0 gold to start with? when you create the char it comes up with a little screen asking about name and levels and such, just make sure all the money slots are set to 0. i dont think is a default method of giving 0 gold to all new chars though.

although someone should check, i am at work and cant look now, but NPCs might start with 0 gold and players start with 150g.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #10 Reply With Quote