Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

darkmaer

Old August 16th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Hey, I'm trying to find out if there is away to add backstab damage to my attacks in the iPad app? I was hoping it would be as fairly simple as it was for fantasy grounds, but it doesn't appear so.
darkmaer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 16th, 2017, 02:57 PM
Why do you need to update the attacks?

Sneak Attack only gets applied in specific circumstances so personally I don't see a need to have the calculation apply throughout the tool for the one turn your would use it. You just add 1d6 to your attack roll.

Unlike Fantasy Grounds there is no automatic damage automation occurring between the PCs and DM. So this would create more work for the player as they would have to enable it for the turn, then disable it as soon as the turn is over. Just as easy to say I'm using Sneak Attack so I add 1d6 to the roll.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
darkmaer

Old August 16th, 2017, 03:21 PM
I'd just like stuff a little easier. To me, why put the dice roll options on the ipad app if I need to bring out actual dice. So I guess I'll just ignore the dice roll feature in the app then.
With fantasy grounds, it does work similarly. You add a "power" which you set it up as a temporary effect on you. So you just set it up to add 1d6 for example to your next roll. Then whenever you are in the position to sneak attack you just hit the effect then roll your attack and it turns off after that.

I just want to temporarily adjust the attacks, not keep it for good. Just seems like the dice roll feature in the app is kind of pointless if it only works for the most basic damage.

But whatever I'll just ignore the feature and bring my own dice instead.
darkmaer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 16th, 2017, 03:24 PM
I always forget about the dice roller part of the app. No idea how that even works to be honest. The dice roller on the PC side of things is not linked to any abilities. It's literally just the ability to roll dice. Everyone I know just uses real dice. It's why I use Hero Lab to be honest. All the automation of Fantasy Grounds and Roll20 takes away from the experience for me.

Will be interesting to see what Hero Lab Online brings though. Online tells me they could sync it all together in which case it would make absolute sense to be able to track every modifier and allow digital rolls which sync up to the DM station.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 16th, 2017, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmaer View Post
I'd just like stuff a little easier. To me, why put the dice roll options on the ipad app if I need to bring out actual dice. So I guess I'll just ignore the dice roll feature in the app then.
On the iPad go to the Adjustments at the bottom of the In-Play tab. Add the adjustment "Weapon Elemental Dmg, Custom". After adding select your chosen weapon to get the additional damage. Then in the duration box you see text that says "+1d6 Elemental". Change the wording to match what ever your extra sneak attack dice does for damage.

Now on the In-Play area the iPad will roll the extra dice.

Maybe to make it easier have one weapon configured with the SA damage and one without.

Hope that helps.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
darkmaer

Old August 19th, 2017, 07:59 PM
Cool, thanks that helps very much. It's worth the 2 extra pounds just to the ease. I'll have to look into how to use the editor so I can create stuff labeled properly and doesn't weigh anything.
darkmaer is offline   #6 Reply With Quote