Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Azriel

Old August 13th, 2017, 06:17 PM
I am thinking of getting realm works, not for a campaign, but as a tool for worldbuilding so I do not need the sharing features or cloud services since I will be the only one using it. However, I want to know if it is possible to backup my world files into a folder on an external drive so if something happens to my computer I could restore it.
Azriel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old August 13th, 2017, 11:18 PM
Yes!

Realm Works lets you backup your database in a file, that you store wherever you want. And of course you can restore your realm from said file.
Merion is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old August 13th, 2017, 11:19 PM
Hi Azriel,

Real Works does automatic backup of the whole database that contains all your realms on every launch (you can configure the amount of backups that are kept), and also allows you to manually backup your database and the destination can be local path, external drive or network share.

I personally backup to my home NAS when i am done with major update on my realms, and also still use the free cloud services tier for the first six months.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Azriel

Old August 13th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the reply, I went ahead and bought it, now I am going through the fun of figuring out how to do everything.
Azriel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 14th, 2017, 12:40 AM
The cloud subscription is frozen btw. No one is paying for it. Been like that for years. We have been told that will change when the content market comes out though or shortly after so that could change in the near future.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old August 14th, 2017, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
The cloud subscription is frozen btw. No one is paying for it. Been like that for years. We have been told that will change when the content market comes out though or shortly after so that could change in the near future.
I was not aware of that. So when the time runs out, i will no longer synchronize or it will continue to work?

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old August 14th, 2017, 01:34 AM
Your guess is as good as ours. I would assume you won't be able to sync up or down if your sub runs out. I would literally cry if I lost my data so it will be worth it for me.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 14th, 2017, 02:12 AM
Should be able to re-install your "master realm" file if you back it up elsewhere in case of a system failure, but your players wont be able to sync to your realm without the sync to LWD.

See this link below by Rob AND take listed things into consideration.
1> the post is last november, 2> Things Change 4> READ WHOLE POST THREAD there were changes even as it was discussed then.

But should give all an understanding of the history of the thought process....

http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....9&postcount=14
Thanks for origin post by Rob & Silveras

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; August 14th, 2017 at 02:21 AM. Reason: add link
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote