Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

PHaTHe

Old December 25th, 2013, 01:08 AM
Hello all,

I understand that cloud is partially(?) functional now, what i'm curious about is content sharing. Now we can sync with the cloud but i'm guessing that the sharing is not functional yet. Is there any option regarding the synced content to make it shareable or not in this state? If so, where is it so i can turn it on or off?

Thanks
PHaTHe is offline   #1
taxboy

Old December 25th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Also, if i am using Realm works on my home pc and my laptop - how does the cloud know what version to take precedent to the cloud.

Does it simply look at what version has been updated more recently and put that into the cloud - if an older version locally is synced, the cloud over writes that?
taxboy is offline   #2
pyremius

Old December 25th, 2013, 07:00 PM
That would be my guess. To be safe, I made sure that both computers were using the same data set with no changes (Sync on A, Backup. Restore on B, Sync).
pyremius is offline   #3
Elindor

Old December 25th, 2013, 08:41 PM
From what's in the 141 release notes, and what I've seen of it so far, it may help to think of it as major and minor releases of the realm (This is obviously very simplified from what exactly happens, and is valid for the current state of syncing)

Updating to the cloud is a major release, and modifying the local copy is a minor release. When you sync the data to the cloud, it updates the major release number.

Creating The Realms = version 0.0 - It's just a name at this point. You make changes, so the local copy is 0.1. When you sync that to the cloud, it uploads the changes you made, calling it 1.0, and updating the version on the computer. You then make more changes, and this version is marked version 1.1

You then go to your second computer, and download the realm into Realm Works - it grabs 1.0. You then make some changes there, and you have a realm marked version 1.1. However, at the moment, the sync logic is very basic - If you upload wither of the version 1.1 realms, it will get saved as version 2.0. Syncing on the other computer will grab the 2.0 version and overwrite the 1.1 version installed.

To my understanding, the next challenge (and I suspect the main feature which needs to be added before the actual release) will be to improve the sync logic so that changes can be made on either, and the updates are preserved when syncing. And I have just enough software development knowledge to appreciate how difficult that can be.
Elindor is offline   #4