Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks to a lot of very hard work by Colen and Mathias, the Pathfinder RPG data files *will* be making their debug on the 13th of this month. This coincides with the official release of the game itself at GenCon. The data files will be available online, so you do *not* need to attend GenCon to get ahold of the Pathfinder files.

Due to the short time we had to develop these files (6-7 weeks), and the lack of an electronic version of the rules, there are a few known limitations regarding these initial files. Once we have an electronic version of the game and a couple extra weeks to refine the files, an update will be released that addresses these limitations.

1. The description text for just about everything will be terse or non-existent. Without access to an electronic version of the rules, we either had to re-type everything or wait until we could copy and paste it. We opted for the latter.

2. The ability to add custom content via the Editor is not yet accessible. This is always the final step with any set of data files for Hero Lab, so this hasn't been completed yet. It will work just like it does for every other game system.

3. The prestige classes are currently d20 SRD only. They have not yet been converted over to reflect the appropriate changes for Pathfinder.

4. While the vast majority of class special abilities are fully implemented, there are some that require a bit more work.

5. Animal companions and paladin mounts are not being handled properly yet.

6. Tracking of charges for in-play support has not been revised yet for Pathfinder.

That's the short list of known limitations in the initial release of the Pathfinder data files. Everything else should be in place and ready to roll on Thursday. For those of you going to GenCon, feel free to stop by our booth (#1810) and take a look at what Hero Lab can do for Pathfinder.
rob is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
On point 3, the prestige classes, for those of us not updating to Pathfinder but still playing "old" 3.5, will there be a switch to turn pathfinder on or off? Or is it a seperate Data set for sale?

If that is the case then nothing with the old set of SRD prestige classes should be affected, right?

Also, I claim this forum in the name of Bealia, as it's first non admin poster!
Lawful_g is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:41 PM
The Pathfinder data files will be a separate data set. While there is a lot in common with d20 3.5, there are also lots of changes. And we expect that the game will continue to diverge as it evolves with Paizo. Consequently, we split stuff out to avoid nasty complexities with blending the two as they diverge.

The SRD prestige classes for 3.5 will be completely untouched. A separate set of those prestige classes will be adapted as part of the Pathfinder data files.
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Lawful_g
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 11th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Will user created data files cross over? For example, I have created a lot of prestige classes for 3.5, if I buy and subsequently use Pathfinder, will I have to re-create those?
Lawful_g is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
JimGroves

Old August 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Rob, Colen, and Mathias,

Thank you for all your hard work. It is really appreciated. I realize sometimes it doesn't seem that way. I also know that in a perfect world you would have liked to have released a near perfect product, but I for one am appreciative that you're putting out the data set with some limitations that are going to be addressed later this month.

I'll be getting this data set on the 13th, so your efforts will not have been in vain.

As far as the PDF is concerned.. again in a perfect world you would have had this document already. I believe the delay is due to the fact that the PDF itself was not ready. Paizo is not only adding bookmarks, but they've added internal hyperlinks throughout the file to make it as accessible and easy to navigate as any gaming PDF on the market today. When subscribers started receiving their books days before GenCon there was a hue and cry to release the PDF, to which it was disclosed that they're hyperlinking the document and it wasn't going to be actually ready until Thursday morning.

And that's awesome. It hasn't done you guys any good, but it will be good for the consumer.

(And actually I tried to suggest that they send you guys a non-hyperlinked PDF, but there was no response)

Anyway, I have a lot of enthusiasm for this data set.. Thank you again.

Last edited by JimGroves; August 11th, 2009 at 06:27 AM.
JimGroves is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawful_g View Post
Will user created data files cross over? For example, I have created a lot of prestige classes for 3.5, if I buy and subsequently use Pathfinder, will I have to re-create those?
I honestly don't know and I don't expect Colen or Mathias to be back here on the boards for at least a few days - and possibly not until next week - since we leave for GenCon in 1.5 hours.

I'm pretty sure that the prestige classes will require some adjustment, but I don't think it will require complete re-creation. Colen and Mathias will be able to give an official answer, but that's my understanding from discussions with them.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOlsen View Post
Thank you for all your hard work. It is really appreciated. I realize sometimes it doesn't seem that way.
It's been grueling. So it's nice to know that it not been in vain. :-) Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyOlsen View Post
I tried to suggest that they send you guys a non-hyperlinked PDF, but there was no response
Sadly, that was our experience, too. :-(
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
JimGroves

Old August 11th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Sadly, that was our experience, too. :-(
Awww..

If it's any consolation, I know they've been insane over there lately. They published over 900 pages of content this month, restarted their campaign play system, working with artists, managing the boards which have been rockin' and rollin'.. dealt with no air conditioning earlier this month when Seattle was in the 100's.. and making absolutely sure they got the books for GenCon.

Anyway, you'll have it Thursday for sure, I believe.
JimGroves is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kunger00

Old August 14th, 2009, 11:32 AM
There seems to be a problem with missing Combat feats for the fighter tab. Creating a 7th level fighter and selecting bonus feats I get options for Agile Maneuvers through Defensive Combat training then it suddenly skips to Shatter Defenses and then the list ends.

On a quick glance, it appears that the missing feats aren't labeled as COMBAT feats... for example, on the feats tab, feats such as Dodge, Point Blank Shot, and Power Attack are listed as GENERAL feats instead of COMBAT feat.
kunger00 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
kunger00

Old August 14th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Please don't take any bug reports I make as anything other than an honest desire to help.

I *LOVE* you guys and am amazed at how much you have gotten done in the time you've had!
kunger00 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote