Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Quintain

Old October 4th, 2016, 08:02 PM
I'd like it if Hero Lab could open more than 1 portfolio simultaneously, accessible via tabs across the top lik a browser.
Quintain is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 5th, 2016, 12:14 AM
Is this for PC or iPad?

On PC, you can already open a second copy of HeroLab, and you can switch to it using the Windows task bar.

The problem with adding tabs across the top of HeroLab is that it would use up valuable screen space having that extra row.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old October 5th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Tabs would be fine on my desktop, at home. But I much prefer separate instances of Hero Lab on the laptop, with the taskbar set to disappear until mouse over.

I'm not saying a Tab feature is not a good idea; even if it were implemented, that wouldn't prevent anyone from having multiple instances of Hero Lab open at once.

I generally have: The PC group, Summoned Creatures (with that option checked, for the extra enable/disable options), and The Bad Guys... which is a preview of what I can import for combat/tactical manager. It's easy to use the Summon Monster Creatures 'encounter library' and check the boxes for Augment Summoning, then save that Portfolio for inputting to the combat portfolio.
Ualaa is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 5th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Also, other than listing them along the top as tabs, instead of along the right-hand side as dashboard entries, how would this differ from importing those characters all into a single portfolio? Having them as dashboard entries also gives you the quick reference information, like their current hp.

If they were set up as tabs for entire portfolios, how would you envision the individual characters being handled? Would you want to be able to switch to a specific character within another portfolio?
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old October 5th, 2016, 01:26 PM
I agree with Farling and Ualaa regarding laptop screen space. I don't want different portfolios in tabs across the top; that just opens the way to things like wanting drag-and-drop between portfolios and before long it's just a more complicated way to have one big portfolio. Multiple instances works just fine.

I would, however, really like to be able to import multiple portfolios at once. Saving all the characters in a portfolio out to individual portfolios might be nice as well, but is probably too tricky to be worth implementing.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old October 6th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I use portfolios as a method of logical organization. Being able to switch between portfolios and their inherent groupings rapidly speeds play. This cannot be done via the dashboard entries.

As far as switching between portfolios, returning to the last used character would be the ideal, imo.

Separate instances of hero lab just increases the amount of memory footprint required for each logical grouping of characters. Most people are used to the multi-tab format of browsers enough for this sort of interface to be very natural.

Last edited by Quintain; October 6th, 2016 at 08:25 PM.
Quintain is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
psych777

Old October 7th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post

On PC, you can already open a second copy of HeroLab, and you can switch to it using the Windows task bar.
i see this mentioned now and again but every time i try to open a second herolab the exe crashes (of the second opening) and i'm left with just the first copy open. is there a setting somewhere i need to change to be able to run two copies at once?
psych777 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old October 7th, 2016, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych777 View Post
i see this mentioned now and again but every time i try to open a second herolab the exe crashes (of the second opening) and i'm left with just the first copy open. is there a setting somewhere i need to change to be able to run two copies at once?
None that I know of.

That sounds like something you should report in a support ticket.
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 7th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psych777 View Post
There's Tools...Diagnostics...Enable Debug Tracing, which prevents you from opening a second copy if it's turned on, since otherwise both copies would be trying to write to the same debugging log file at the same time, but as I understand, that one stops you from opening the second copy, rather than crashing.
Mathias is online now   #9 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old October 7th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
There's Tools...Diagnostics...Enable Debug Tracing, which prevents you from opening a second copy if it's turned on, since otherwise both copies would be trying to write to the same debugging log file at the same time, but as I understand, that one stops you from opening the second copy, rather than crashing.
That's a reasonable way of handling it.

The app could also use the task id or other number to make the filename unique.

Or don't open the file in O_EXCL mode and then both can write to it at the same time -- although you'd need the task id or some other value written with each line in the log or you wouldn't be able to tell them apart!

Azhrei is offline   #10 Reply With Quote