Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Krothos

Old September 23rd, 2016, 08:34 AM
Attached is my .por file of my warpriest I'm playing in my campaign. He is currently wearing +1 breastplate and medium encumbered. This puts his speed at 15 ft (HL shows this correctly). When adding the haste buff, now his speed is 35 ft. Shouldn't it be 30 ft? What am I missing? Is HL adding 30 ft for the haste buff and then apply armor/encumbrance penalty? If so, this is wrong since haste doubles existing speed, up to 30 ft. Wanted to be sure I'm not missing something before submitting this as a bug to LW.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: email Xalrick.por (181.3 KB, 4 views)
Krothos is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old September 23rd, 2016, 11:44 AM
Your missing one line of the haste spell. Up to twice your base speed. So what you end up with is base +20, haste +20, encumbrance/ACP -5 = 35
Minous is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
Your missing one line of the haste spell. Up to twice your base speed. So what you end up with is base +20, haste +20, encumbrance/ACP -5 = 35
How is the encumbrance/armor penalty only -5 with a hasted movement of 40'? As per RAW for 40 ft of movement, the encumbrance/armor penalized movement is 30'.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/c...er-base-speeds

Is there another rule I'm missing?
Krothos is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Minous

Old September 23rd, 2016, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krothos View Post
How is the encumbrance/armor penalty only -5 with a hasted movement of 40'? As per RAW for 40 ft of movement, the encumbrance/armor penalized movement is 30'.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/c...er-base-speeds

Is there another rule I'm missing?
Because its calculated base off base speed. Haste does not modify base speed, rather it provides and enhancement bonus of up to your base speed or 30 (Whichever is less) Note: Boots of Striding and Springing do not stack with haste either.
Minous is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minous View Post
Because its calculated base off base speed. Haste does not modify base speed, rather it provides and enhancement bonus of up to your base speed or 30 (Whichever is less) Note: Boots of Striding and Springing do not stack with haste either.
I now understand how you could read the haste spell to come up with how the speed would be 35 ft (20 ft base - armor penalty = 15 ft + 20 ft haste = 35 ft). However, further reading on Paizo's boards under the Rules Questions forum suggests that this understanding is the minority as many have answered that the speed would be 30 ft (20 ft base + 20 ft haste = 40 ft - armor penalty = 30 ft).

Guess I'll just make this a house rule in my game when using HL since it's seems this more interpretation than RAW because of the wording of the effect.
Krothos is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:11 PM
Krothos, please just report it as a bug. You've only heard one user's opinion. Let us take a look at this and apply our own judgement as to what the rules should be.

At first glance, this feels like a bug - 35' is the encumbered version of 50', which may mean that it's miscalculating the hasted speed at 50' (base 20 + haste 30, for some reason), and then applying encumbrance down to 35'.
Mathias is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
Krothos

Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:19 PM
Ok, done, thank you. Sorry if I offended.
Krothos is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:24 PM
We really prefer if our users skip the "is this a bug?" posts, and just report them as soon as they've done a little rules research of their own - why waste time waiting for the forum to respond to you, and then wait more time for us to get a chance to get to the bug?. I've seen "is this a bug" posts that never actually get reported as bugs, because they're not answered by other users quickly, and then they're forgotten about.
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:35 PM
Looking into how Haste calculates its bonus, this is a bug - it's applying the cap too early - it's turning haste's normal bonus of +30 into +20 (this character's movement speed), instead of applying the cap at the end - twice the character's normal movement speed, or 40'.
Mathias is online now   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 23rd, 2016, 02:38 PM
Oh, and I'm going to need to research this further to see how haste is supposed to interact with encumbrance - when the spell says "the subject's normal speed using that form of movement", is that normal unencumbered speed, or 40' in this case, or normal encumbered speed, or 30' in this case. Seems much more likely to be the encumbered speed - otherwise, this character moves 40' while hasted, which means there's no speed penalty for this character being encumbered as long as he's hasted, since he'd also move 40' while hastened and unencumbered.

Last edited by Mathias; September 23rd, 2016 at 02:42 PM.
Mathias is online now   #10 Reply With Quote