Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gord

Old November 29th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Since I am one of the lucky few who seem to have rare database errors that prevent me from even opening my realm, I ran a game last night without it. It was the first session since the recent problems began.

I am currently getting a "C++ Exception Not in a span at line 1597 in file utility.cpp" error. Each new version has make the line number larger before I crash but I still cannot open my main realm on or off line. It wasn't a real big issue before because we were on a break due to a new baby that two of our players had.

Like others, I am frustrated with this problem but mostly because I cannot do data entry. I find it relaxing.

On the other hand, after running the game without it, I realized how dependent on RW I am now. We were struggling to remember NPC names and even some previous activities because of the break. There was just no fast way for me to pull information, show pictures, maps, etc. for the players. Perhaps they didn't need it because of the simple events going on last night but I sure missed it. It appears that it also increases my enjoyment as a DM. Not something I would have expected when I first got it.
Gord is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old November 29th, 2015, 01:20 PM
I still can't sync one of my realms. This is the third major problem I have had since the major update. I am still struggling with what to do next. I hate to walk away from RW due to the huge amount of time I have invested in it. However, the lack of stability has made me very wary indeed. My group runs multiple games in multiple systems, so I am considering sticking with RW for the systems I have invested a lot of time in, but switching back to onenote for the systems we rotate to in the future. This past month has made me much more sympathetic towards those that have been screaming for an export option of some sort. I really like RW, but I am starting to feel like every time I log in the powers that be roll a six sided die and if comes up a one, I find a new bug and crash.
meek75 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 29th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I am currently getting a "C++ Exception Not in a span at line 1597 in file utility.cpp" error. Each new version has make the line number larger before I crash but I still cannot open my main realm on or off line. It wasn't a real big issue before because we were on a break due to a new baby that two of our players had.
Using the "Rebuild Index" command supposedly get rids of the error reported by utility.cpp. Have you tried this?

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=54307
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 29th, 2015, 03:46 PM
@Gord has an apparently unique problem that we're still trying to figure out how to solve. Rebuilding the index doesn't fix it, unlike the problems encountered by everybody else (and that appear to finally be fixed).

@Gord actually has data in one snippet that should never have been possible, and that's causing things to fail due to unexpected (invalid) data. The problem is that the snippet contents are huge, so asking him to just throw away the problematic snippet doesn't seem like a reasonable option. We're trying to figure out how best to fix this, but it's quite complicated.

@Meek75 appears to be one of a handful of users who still are having sync problems. We're working to figure out what's going wrong, but the realms are good sized, which makes it an extremely complex problem so solve.

FYI, we wanted to start announcing the Content Market stuff in October. That stuff got pushed back while we worked through all the issues since the big release. We're working to get the remaining problems sorted out ASAP, and there are only a small number of users with issues at this point. Unfortunately, they include @Gord and @meek75.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old November 29th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post

@Meek75 appears to be one of a handful of users who still are having sync problems. We're working to figure out what's going wrong, but the realms are good sized, which makes it an extremely complex problem so solve.

FYI, we wanted to start announcing the Content Market stuff in October. That stuff got pushed back while we worked through all the issues since the big release. We're working to get the remaining problems sorted out ASAP, and there are only a small number of users with issues at this point. Unfortunately, they include @Gord and @meek75.
Rob,

Thanks for the update. I just want to say that I hope my somewhat negative comments above were not taken as an attack on LWD. I wholeheartedly believe that you and your staff are working very hard and doing a good job. Every interaction I have had with LWD has been positive. You guys are responsive and helpful. My comments are just an expression of the honest struggle I am currently having. I know RW can be great and am sure it will be great, I'm just having doubts about where it is right now. I am hanging it there ATM in hopes that once you get these last bugs ironed out RW will be stable, but I worry moving forward that future major updates might cause a repeat of these issues.
meek75 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 29th, 2015, 09:55 PM
@meek75: Your comments are perfectly fine, and wholly understandable given the situation. I just felt that everyone, including you and @Gord, would benefit from a little more concrete info about the current state of the product.

You're obviously having doubts, which are understandable. To hopefully provide some reassurance, there aren't any major changes on the roadmap at this point - just small, incremental ones. Everyone swallowed the big pill in October, and there are still some special cases that we're working through. There are just so many ways to slice and dice things in Realm Works, and it seems everyone is using it in slightly different ways, which results in a myriad combinations that we need to make sure all work perfectly together. We overlooked some of them, and we're steadily getting the final few sorted out.

The vast majority of users are operating smoothly. For those of you who are still impacted, thank you for your patience and perseverance.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old December 1st, 2015, 05:08 PM
To be clear, I fully expected my issue to be fixed and yesterday I got email from Dave saying it was. It is a testament to Rob and the rest that I never worried about the data being lost. Leave it to me to be unique and manage to do something that is impossible.

The point of my initial comment was to highlight how indispensable RW has become for me. Thanks for fixing the issue.
Gord is offline   #7 Reply With Quote