Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Merion

Old April 4th, 2020, 03:38 PM
I'm glad you like it!

Yes, the bloody problem with the 253 and 255 versions. I think I'll add just both and put a note in.

I am german, indeed. But I create most topic in english these days and translate back on the fly while running my games. Some stuff I do have in german, but these are my personal notes which are immensly less verbose and polished than the english ones. Usually just a bullet points.
I'll think about a german version, but it will double parts of the work and I'm not sure if there's anough demand. My next map will be a little village, maybe I test it there.

Find my stuff on

_|_ F i c t i o n a l m a p s . c o m _|_ D r i v e t h r u R P G _|_
Merion is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old April 7th, 2020, 08:22 AM
You mind some questions about Drivethru and Patreon?
Bloodwolf is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old April 7th, 2020, 09:30 AM
Of course not, go ahead!

Find my stuff on

Merion is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old April 8th, 2020, 05:02 AM
How does copyright work with them?

So I have re-worked old adventures and made them 3.5, i.e. I brought the original Temple of Elemental Evil up to 3.5, can you even put them on Drive-thru? Or would I have to put it on Patreon and hope people donate?

For another example, I have created several adventures around an old Goodman Games adventure making it a 6 party series instead of a one off. What would I do with the original adventure and my own creations that use elements from that adventure?

Thanks
Bloodwolf is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 8th, 2020, 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwolf View Post

So I have re-worked old adventures and made them 3.5, i.e. I brought the original Temple of Elemental Evil up to 3.5, can you even put them on Drive-thru? Or would I have to put it on Patreon and hope people donate?

For another example, I have created several adventures around an old Goodman Games adventure making it a 6 party series instead of a one off. What would I do with the original adventure and my own creations that use elements from that adventure?

Thanks
I'm fairly sure that reworking somebody else's work is still covered by their copyright.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old April 8th, 2020, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I'm fairly sure that reworking somebody else's work is still covered by their copyright.
Phew, that really is more of a law question than platform depended. And of those I know little. Personally, I tend to stay clear of things like that and try to make sure that everything I use that I do not create myself is public domain or under a similar license that allow commercial use.

But I would assume the same as Farling, that you could get in trouble for trying to sell adapted material without consent of the copyright holder.

And by the way, I do have a new item up for sale: Thosch, mainly a village map with minimal lore added.

Find my stuff on

Merion is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 8th, 2020, 02:42 PM
Quote:
How does copyright work with them? ...
The term that most likely describes what you're doing is a "derivative work". The safest assumption is that distribution of a derivative work without permission of the original's copyright holder is a violation under US copyright law.

As always, you should talk to your lawyer for actual legal advice before proceeding; we're just random people on the Internet. :)

Last edited by Parody; April 8th, 2020 at 02:44 PM.
Parody is online now   #17 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 8th, 2020, 05:04 PM
Quote:

Thanks
Those would be derivatives and almost certainly violate copyright. The title might even be trademarked.

Patreon specifically forbids that.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Bloodwolf

Old April 9th, 2020, 06:06 AM
OK. So would have to give them away.

So on maybe a more platform based question, I've not messed with either and was wondering the kind of basics on both. How would you say they work?
Bloodwolf is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 9th, 2020, 03:21 PM
Quote:
OK. So would have to give them away.

So on maybe a more platform based question, I've not messed with either and was wondering the kind of basics on both. How would you say they work?
No idea about DTRPG.

Patreon works pretty simply. You have some work you think people will support. Get an idea for your costs, how you'll release that work (including how frequently), What of it you're willing to give away and what you want to gate to one or more monthly support levels. Then you just create an account, design your page, there is a designer. Then advertise it/your work.

I strongly suggest you have at least some examples available for free at launch. Frequent posts are better than not posting. Showing off works in progress etc. helps greatly.

If you aren't a patron of anyone you might want to do that to see how other creators do things.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #20 Reply With Quote