Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

nodice

Old October 6th, 2016, 06:34 PM
I don't really understand the solutions that have been offered to get around this issue. That containers are only to be used for things that are permanent seems completely antithesis to the idea of an RPG for me. The whole point of an RPG is that potentially anything can change. As an example, following on from only using permanent containers rule, one should not place cast members into Containers by name or family, as these can change due to marriage, political and other reasons; by location, as people are wont to move from one place to another; or even by such sweeping groupings as 'race' because you never know when someone will awaken a latent talent making them a half-who-knows-what.

If I understand correctly, it is the 'relationships' interface that is being brought up as the underutilized solution to this issue? The relationships view is considerably limiting compared to the traditional container hierarchy view, particularly once you start dealing with large numbers of interlinked topics. Whilst still undoubtedly useful, interesting and cool, that relationships interface is no substitute for being able to create and organize hierarchies of containers that are able to be manipulated in ways conducive of running an RPG.

I believe the solution really does come down to a 'shortcut' topic which can be freely moved to any container. I'm no programmer though, so I have no idea how hard that is to do :P
nodice is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 6th, 2016, 07:11 PM
Or do away with the folder paradigm and just use tags. But people don't seem to like that. It kills me that Google Drive did away with the folders-as-tags idea. You can still save one document in two places without duplicating it, but it is now a non-obvious, inconvenient, hidden feature. People seem to like their folders.

Maybe a good compromise is to do something like what Evernote does. Folder work like traditional OS directories. But they also offer tags and you can view the tags in a hierarchical list.

It seems, however, that this would be a major development effort for a small company and with the backlog of features that many very passionate users are clamoring for, I think changing the way foldering works will be low on the list.

That said, sometimes things are much easier than they appeared to me and LWD has snuck in new features we thought we would have to wait a much longer time for.

Never hurts to ask.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 6th, 2016, 08:53 PM
*Duplicate*

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; October 6th, 2016 at 08:57 PM. Reason: duplicate
Vargr is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 6th, 2016, 08:57 PM
I like the compartemental approach. It makes sense to me.

I see no problem in moving - say - a character from a House to another or an NPC from one part of the country to another (moving him from one "city-container" to another, for example).

The tags have never really meant anything to me - except as a way to say, this character is a gnorf and this a human or similar simple ways.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #14 Reply With Quote