Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Zane_Marlowe

Old April 20th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Hi Everyone, I'm a new user (missed the kickstarter) and I've been reading through the forums and the user guides, but haven't yet found out how to locate the category (if any) to which a tag is assigned.

In my case, I'm using a non-d20 system that doesn't include classes and levels, and I'd like to use a different snippet than "Class." From the management ribbon, I've already hidden that snippet in the "Individual" category. I discovered a "Profession" snippet that looks like a good alternative, but I have no idea how to find out which category (if any) it's assigned to (short of the brute force approach of manually looking through each and every category, ugh!).

Is there an easy way to learn in Manage > Tags which Category a Snippet Type belongs to or if it is unassigned? (Do all existing snippet types have category assignment?)

Finally, a note to the Lone Wolf team: this application is fantastic! I've been lurking, waiting for this thing to release since last August when I discovered it, and I'm happy to report your hard efforts do not disappoint! I've imagined an app like this for years, and I think you've really exceeded expectations. There's nothing on the market that comes close to the sophistication and value of this application. It's a GM's dream. Best of luck with further development going forward.
Zane_Marlowe is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old April 21st, 2014, 01:11 AM
I do not think the 'Profession' tag domain is currently linked. You could create a copy of the 'Individual' topic category. Then you can add a tag snippet with the 'Profession' tag domain. In the tag domain you can enter the profession you want.

( In this case you could also remove the protection from the Individual topic category, but you must be aware that if you change the topic category. It may give problems when you want to enter data by others later. That is what the warning is all about if you remove the protection on the category).

As far as I aware there is no way to know to what topics a tag is assigned from the tag point of view. From the Topic point of view you can see the tags assigned to it on the bottom right hand side of your screen.
Cornelius is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Viral Platypus

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:59 PM
They actually recommend that you edit the category instead of making a copy. You can then add profession into whatever section you want.
Viral Platypus is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Zane_Marlowe

Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:00 PM
One of the reasons I posted was because the warnings around unprotecting content are such that I kind of want to know how everything's assigned before I start changing things. (Gotta know how to put it back if necessary!) I confess I'm a little surprised there isn't a kind of catalog of snippet types indexed against category types. Maybe I need to make one, but if it's already out there I hope someone chimes in.
Zane_Marlowe is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Zane_Marlowe

Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:12 PM
Incidentally, I'm not finding a way to assign an existing tag domain (e.g., Profession) to an existing category > section. Is this in the world builder guide? I missed it if so.
Zane_Marlowe is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Zane_Marlowe

Old April 22nd, 2014, 05:54 PM
Ah, okay. I think I figured it out. Setting a new snippet type to "Tag" and then assigning a tag domain that contains tags lets you add those domains to a given category and section. I think I'm off and running!
Zane_Marlowe is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old April 26th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Yes, you probably have it right. As is mentioned in many places, with RW, there are many cases where there are multiple ways to do things. One may not be better than the other, it's just what works best for you.

The protection warnings are to let you know not to radically change the purpose of the category because of underlying things that may be affected unintentionally. Unprotecting the Individual category to add in an Alignment tag set is one change I've done. This is a change that fits with the intent/role/whatever of the Individual category so should be fine.

I don't know of a way to figure out where (if at all) the Profession is used but given that it's empty, it wouldn't surprised me if it was simply provided by LWD for completeness for us to customize as we see fit.
weogarth is offline   #7 Reply With Quote