Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 11th, 2020, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris447 View Post
I understand where they're coming from, but I've looked through older posts from them where they're willing to walk the line a bit more in the past than now.

On the one hand, they won't do anything to help us create the Artificer. It's a new type of Half-Caster, and they won't do any backend work to help us get it in. That makes sense. The Artificer isn't SRD content and they have no obligation to do it.

On the other hand, there's a bug with bootstrapping spells to a character that recharge on a short rest. The Tiefling has spells bootstrapped that recharge perfectly fine on a long rest. When you do the exact same thing but set it to recharge on a short rest, the spells don't reset on a short rest. This is a bug. But because there are no SRD races that have spells that recharge on a short rest, LWD won't fix the bug. That's where saying "we can't because SRD" becomes a little more excuse, a little less legal requirement.

Here's a for instance. The SRD doesn't have any monsters with a CR>30, but a developer was fine making a change that would allow for a user to bump it up.
Lone Wolf is a small team of codeslingers. They are divided up amongst different projects. Pathfinder and Shadowrun always get treated better simply because they're official files and the companies that make the products support the character builder. WotC has an official builder on their own website through D&D Beyond, so they'd never support a 3rd party product as that would detract from the profits. I used to code data files for LWD and it was a lot of work. I developed my own 5e file to work around the bugs because I knew they would be limited to the SRD when beyond announced its character builder. We're lucky to even have a character builder for 5e. They could have just not created an open game license for 5e and kept everything first party. I know there are bugs in the software, but I mostly use it to get pdfs and print outs of sheets to give my players. I don't bother using it to track things on my end. I used to do that for pathfinder and 4e but I find its just as easy to keep written notes for things in 5th because of how simplified the system is. I wouldn't expect any official bug fixes unless the SRD changes or they have time to dedicate to fixing them. Right now I'd say they have their hands full with other products and are less concerned about this product.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old May 11th, 2020, 11:13 AM
I'm not saying they have to do anything. In fact, I was saying I don't expect them to do anything to help with OP's request. You are correct that they are supporting other projects and are not really concerned with 5e; my example was to demonstrate that. For the most part, outside of SRD changes or major bugs, I don't expect LWD to support their 5e product further. That's what I was telling OP.

It's very nice that you have the time and expertise to code your own 5e file. Most people here cannot do the same. I have players who use the Hero Lab 5e SRD + Community Pack to track and play their characters electronically. My and their experience, use case, coding knowledge, and available time are not the same as yours. So we'll continue to use the official LWD-created version of the game.

I know LWD has their reasons for not prioritizing this system anymore. But it's not unfair for me to point that out. If I had a major problem with it, I'd stop using the product.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 12th, 2020, 02:17 PM
I am concerned with the product a bit too as Wildemount added the Hollow One which acts like a racial template... I'm not sure how this will get implemented in the current structure of hero lab since templates are usually seen as an NPC thing.

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.
RavenX is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old May 12th, 2020, 05:54 PM
Hollow One is described as a Supernatural Gift, so it could be coded as a feat, adjustment or boon.

The DMG actually goes over Supernatural gifts (Blessings specifically) in Ch. 7, and I'm pretty sure the community added those as boons.

That's a lot easier than coding a bunch of race variants or subraces.
dungeonguru is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old May 13th, 2020, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
Hollow One is described as a Supernatural Gift, so it could be coded as a feat, adjustment or boon.

The DMG actually goes over Supernatural gifts (Blessings specifically) in Ch. 7, and I'm pretty sure the community added those as boons.

That's a lot easier than coding a bunch of race variants or subraces.
It was in the last release of the Community Pack as a Boon. It was pretty easy to program, since we'd already established Supernatural Gifts as Boons, like you said. And it doesn't actually overwrite anything about the character. So it was a simple thing to tack onto the hero.

Code:
  <thing id="bn5CHollow1" name="Hollow One" description="Becoming a Hollow One confers these traits upon you:\n\n{b}{i}Ageless.{/i}{/b} You no longer age, and any no effects can cause you to do so.\n\n{b}{i}Cling to Life{/i}{/b} When you roll a 16 or better on a death saving throw, you regain 1 hit point.\n\n{b}{i}Revenance.{/i}{/b} You retain your creature type, but you also appear to be undead to spells and other effects that detect the presence of undead creatures.\n\n{b}{i}Unsettling Presence.{/i}{/b} You can use an action to unsettle a creature visible to and within 15 feet of you. The next saving throw it makes within the next minute is made with disadvantage. Constructs, undead, and creatures immune to being frightened cannot be unsettled by you in this way. Once you&apos;ve used this feature, you must complete a long rest before doing so again." compset="Boon" uniqueness="useronce">
    <usesource source="5eEGtWCP"/>
    <tag group="Helper" tag="NoAdvLeag"/>
    <bootstrap thing="ra5CHlwRvnc"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="ra5CHlwUnsPr"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="ra5CHlwClngLf"></bootstrap>
    <bootstrap thing="ra5CHlwAgel"></bootstrap>
    </thing>
  <thing id="ra5CHlwAgel" name="Ageless" description="You no longer age, and any no effects can cause you to do so." compset="RaceSpec">
    <tag group="Helper" tag="ShowSpec"/>
    <tag group="FeatureTyp" tag="Special"/>
    </thing>
  <thing id="ra5CHlwClngLf" name="Cling to Life" description="When you roll a 16 or better on a death saving throw, you regain 1 hit point." compset="RaceSpec">
    </thing>
  <thing id="ra5CHlwRvnc" name="Revenance" description="You retain your creature type, but you also appear to be undead to spells and other effects that detect the presence of undead creatures." compset="RaceSpec">
    </thing>
  <thing id="ra5CHlwUnsPr" name="Unsettling Presence" description="You can use an action to unsettle a creature visible to and within 15 feet of you. The next saving throw it makes within the next minute is made with disadvantage. Constructs, undead, and creatures immune to being frightened cannot be unsettled by you in this way. Once you&apos;ve used this feature, you must complete a long rest before doing so again." compset="RaceSpec">
    <fieldval field="abRange" value="15"/>
    <fieldval field="abDuration" value="1"/>
    <fieldval field="trkMax" value="1"/>
    <tag group="abRange" tag="Feet"/>
    <tag group="FeatureTyp" tag="Action"/>
    <tag group="abDuration" tag="Minute"/>
    <tag group="abAction" tag="Action"/>
    <tag group="Usage" tag="LongRest"/>
    </thing>
Months-later Edit: I implemented a new Supernatural Gifts tab in release 2.5, and moved the Hollow One over to it. I also moved all the Blessings and Charms over to that Supernatural Gifts tab as well, to properly align them since they're not actually Boons. Just an FYI in case someone finds this in the future and wonders what happened.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!

Last edited by Fenris447; January 13th, 2021 at 07:41 AM.
Fenris447 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote