Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

stuartwaring

Old March 20th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Having had a bit more practice with RW, I am really keen to use the maps section for my games, but have not yet invested in mapping software.
The two I have come across are dundjinni and the various Profantasy programs

Any thoughts as to advantages and disadvantages, or of course any other progtams?

Thanjs
stuartwaring is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old March 20th, 2015, 12:19 PM
I'm a Campaign Cartographer user.

Pros:
Awesome maps, really flexible.

Cons:
Expensive! Costs a lot to get all of the features you'll probably want.
Steep learning curve. But once you know how it works, it's really quick and easy to use.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 20th, 2015, 01:18 PM
Not that I've had to do much RPG mapping lately, but I draw maps in my desktop publishing program. (MultiAd Creator, though new projects will likely be started in InDesign.)

While I've owned them for years (I picked up a package of most of them in the CC2 era) I have yet to spend the time figuring out Campaign Cartographer and its related programs. It's hard going between the DTP and CAD worlds. :(

Dundjinni hasn't been updated for years, which makes me want to stay away from it. My only experience with it was a very long time ago and I never got it working correctly.

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old March 20th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I've been using Fractal Mapper for years. It's easy to use and pretty powerful.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)
Kairos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 20th, 2015, 05:27 PM
I'm very happy with Campaign Cartographer. And the new version CC3+ is a major improvement in speed. It'll take a few months for all the add-ons to get converted over to the new format but the forums are helpful, the program is intuitive (AFTER you learn it) and the tutorials (which are a must) are helpful.

Mapping software is an investment of both time and money....
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old March 20th, 2015, 06:37 PM
I use Fractal Mapper and Campaign Cartographer and while CC3 does have a healthy learning curve there is a resource Joe Sweeny has a set of tutorials on you tube that are excellently done.
Dervish is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Redjack

Old March 20th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemlak View Post
I'm a Campaign Cartographer user.

Pros:
Awesome maps, really flexible.

Cons:
Expensive! Costs a lot to get all of the features you'll probably want.
Steep learning curve. But once you know how it works, it's really quick and easy to use.
Agree to all of this. I am really happy with CC3, though it did take time and patience to get past the learning curve. Highly recommended.
Redjack is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 20th, 2015, 07:21 PM
I also use Fractal Mapper and Campaign Cartographer, but it requires an investment of money and especially time. I ended up hiring someone to create a professional looking version of my world map so I could print as a poster for my game room. But I use CC3 for putting together area maps. What I love most about CC3 is the City Builder add-on that allows me to quickly generate an entire city. I can also trace along a road and have it fill in houses of various sizes. I use the city features more than anything else because it really saves a lot of time in creating cities, villages, and towns. It is also great for area and world maps, which is its main use for most people. If you spend the time learning it, you can put together some professional looking maps quickly, but it really isn't very time saving IMHO. The city builder, though, that makes the price of the entire product worth it, saves time and tons of fun.
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 20th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
I use Fractal Mapper and Campaign Cartographer and while CC3 does have a healthy learning curve there is a resource Joe Sweeny has a set of tutorials on you tube that are excellently done.
I second this. Great video tutorials for CC3
MNBlockHead is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
enrious

Old March 20th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I have and have used CC3, Fractal Mapper, and Hexographer - depending on what I need.

I don't know about the recent CC3 update, so I'm not sure what the learning curve is now, but in the past it wasn't minor. On the other hand, it is capable of making some incredible maps.

Fractal Maps is a pretty easy program to use - it's my choice for a quick battlemap or whatnot.

Hexographer is a mapping program that I primarily use for my overland/world map - as the name suggests, it marks everything by way of hexes. Simple to use, it's really easy to make what you want.
enrious is offline   #10 Reply With Quote