Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 11th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Okay, I'm pondering the possibility of a Strands of Fate dataset, and I have some questions.

1) Strands of Fate has two different types of Aspects. I want to be able to manage these both in the same viewer at editing time, and have them appear in the same table at output time. Is it better to have two types of aspects, both implementing the same component, or would it be better to have one component, and specialize its behavior?

2) Since SoF uses similar rules to create & manage characters, vehicles, and organizations, would it be feasible to use the same code for all three?

2b) My thinking on question #2 is that I'd have the user select the 'character' type he wants to create, and then have the 'type' object bootstrap the appropriate Abilities onto the character. Is it easier to have subtypes of advantages for each type of character, or can I use a filter to, say, show vehicle advantages only to vehicles?

Sorry if this sounds disorganized. Right now I'm still brainstorming on the project, and it's kind of scattered in my head.

Last edited by FifthWanderer; January 11th, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
FifthWanderer is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Is this a new game system using the authoring kit, or a variation of an existing game, using the editor? Which game, if that's the case?

What's an aspect? What behaviors does it need to have? How do the two variants differ from each other?

#2 depends a lot on the details. In a broad sense, yes. You'll want to make a list of what characteristics each has in common with the others and what characteristics differ before you get started, so that you have an idea of what separations you'll need to make.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
FifthWanderer
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM
This would be a new game system, using the Authoring Kit. It's a version of the Fate system. (Brave, foolish soul that I am, starting a game sytem from scratch.)

Under the Fate system, Aspects are short phrases that describe your character. Strands of Fate specializes these further, adding in Specialty aspects that are linked to your Abilities(numeric stats). So a standard aspect would have one field, containing its text. Specialty aspects add another field, that of the Ability it's tied to.

Edit: I should probably add a link to the Strands of Fate publisher's page: http://voidstar.squarespace.com/

Last edited by FifthWanderer; January 11th, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
FifthWanderer is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old July 12th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Just bumping this to see if anyone was looking at Strands now that Spirit of the Century and FATE in general has official Hero Lab support.

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
evildmguy

Old March 15th, 2016, 04:25 AM
Another bump for this!
evildmguy is offline   #5 Reply With Quote