Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zarlor

Old September 6th, 2013, 08:16 AM
It doesn't look like he used the Valid Powers portion of the Dieties factions. So the relevant entries, then, seem like they should be in the Hellfrost Powers.user file (not sure why he made separate files for all of these. Personally I'd rather combine them). At any rate, Healing and Greater Healing seem to be set up to be disallowed for Magic, SuperPowers and WierdSci but none of those things are references in the Hellfrost.user file so I can't see where that would cause an issue....

Then again I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to select the power. You may see two versions of Healing and Greater Healing on the list when you click on "Valid Powers" and I can select both versions from there if I want, although you only really need to select the one where if you click on the (?) to the right of it that shows the unique ID with the H in the name (so Healing's is powHHealin, which is the Hellfrost version, whereas powHealing is the SWD version which is precluded in the Hellfrost.user file.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Demonetrigan

Old September 6th, 2013, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
It doesn't look like he used the Valid Powers portion of the Dieties factions. So the relevant entries, then, seem like they should be in the Hellfrost Powers.user file (not sure why he made separate files for all of these. Personally I'd rather combine them). At any rate, Healing and Greater Healing seem to be set up to be disallowed for Magic, SuperPowers and WierdSci but none of those things are references in the Hellfrost.user file so I can't see where that would cause an issue....

Then again I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to select the power. You may see two versions of Healing and Greater Healing on the list when you click on "Valid Powers" and I can select both versions from there if I want, although you only really need to select the one where if you click on the (?) to the right of it that shows the unique ID with the H in the name (so Healing's is powHHealin, which is the Hellfrost version, whereas powHealing is the SWD version which is precluded in the Hellfrost.user file.)
humm, if I create a character and select the Deity to be Scaetha, then choose Arcane Background Miracles, when I look at the list of available powers Healing does not appear in the list but greater healing does (although disallowed due to rank). What I should see is Healing (allowed due to being Novice) and Greater Healing not allowed.

Is it a matter of setting all the valid powers in each faction entry in the deities.user file so they correctly reflect what each deity should have? in fact i think i'll try that anyway as they are all unset at the moment anyway.

right that wasn't at all what i expected If i check boost/lower trait, champion of faith and healing in the valid powers list for Scaetha, then close down and reload when i look at the list of available powers next to the character who has Scaetha as a deity it ONLY lists Champion of the faith as available?

Now i'm really confused

Last edited by Demonetrigan; September 6th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
Demonetrigan is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 6th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonetrigan View Post
humm, if I create a character and select the Deity to be Scaetha, then choose Arcane Background Miracles, when I look at the list of available powers Healing does not appear in the list but greater healing does (although disallowed due to rank). What I should see is Healing (allowed due to being Novice) and Greater Healing not allowed.
That's strange. Must be something on the powers themselves then...

Quote:
Is it a matter of setting all the valid powers in each faction entry in the deities.user file so they correctly reflect what each deity should have? in fact i think i'll try that anyway as they are all unset at the moment anyway.
With everything unset that just means, I think, that by default all powers are valid so it shouldn't make any difference at all. But if you want to make sure that certain deities only allow certain powers then that's the place to set it.

Quote:
right that wasn't at all what i expected If i check boost/lower trait, champion of faith and healing in the valid powers list for Scaetha, then close down and reload when i look at the list of available powers next to the character who has Scaetha as a deity it ONLY lists Champion of the faith as available?
Right, if those other things were not showing to begin with then it doesn't really have anything to do with the deities.user file. You can further constrain the list using that file, but it won't make a difference to whatever is preventing those powers from showing in the first place. I'll try to take a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's going on (well, unless CapedCrusader jumps in with something before then.)

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Demonetrigan

Old September 7th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Right, if those other things were not showing to begin with then it doesn't really have anything to do with the deities.user file. You can further constrain the list using that file, but it won't make a difference to whatever is preventing those powers from showing in the first place. I'll try to take a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out what's going on (well, unless CapedCrusader jumps in with something before then.)
thanks, all those powers were showing in the available list before so i'm confused by why only one then shows when I check the valid powers boxes. Anything you can do to help would be great.
Demonetrigan is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 7th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Would you upload a portfolio file of the character you're messing with? I noticed he's got things broken out into separate files so while you've got most of the powers set up in Hellfrost.user there are a bunch of other (including Healing and Greater Healing) in a separate Hellfrost Powers.user file. That shouldn't be a problem, unless you're missing that file or something, maybe. Maybe if I take a closer look at the protfolio you're working with I can see what the heck is going on.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Demonetrigan

Old September 7th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Would you upload a portfolio file of the character you're messing with? I noticed he's got things broken out into separate files so while you've got most of the powers set up in Hellfrost.user there are a bunch of other (including Healing and Greater Healing) in a separate Hellfrost Powers.user file. That shouldn't be a problem, unless you're missing that file or something, maybe. Maybe if I take a closer look at the protfolio you're working with I can see what the heck is going on.
sure, can i attach it here or email it to you.
Demonetrigan is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Demonetrigan

Old September 7th, 2013, 10:17 AM
ahh found it 4 characters, 3 are okay - the trapper, Engros and Heahwizard it is the one with the Arcan background - Miracles that has all the problems.
Attached Files
File Type: email Hellfrost Characters.por (58.4 KB, 1 views)
Demonetrigan is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old September 7th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I think I see where he was doing it. In the editor go to the Edges tab and look at Arcane Backgrou: Miracles. Then click on the Bootstraps button on the left. You'll see a ton of bootstraps there with all kinds of conditions on them. I don't have the Hellfrost books handy, and I've never played and AB: Miracles in that setting anyway, but it looks like certain factions would get certain Powers just for being in that faction? Either way I wonder if the conditions there are messing with the ability for that power to be shown... I think that might be it. It's almost as if you are in a certain faction you get the power for free, but if you're not then you won't be able to get it at all.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Coming Eventually
zarlor is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Demonetrigan

Old September 7th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Quote:
I think I see where he was doing it. In the editor go to the Edges tab and look at Arcane Backgrou: Miracles. Then click on the Bootstraps button on the left. You'll see a ton of bootstraps there with all kinds of conditions on them. I don't have the Hellfrost books handy, and I've never played and AB: Miracles in that setting anyway, but it looks like certain factions would get certain Powers just for being in that faction? Either way I wonder if the conditions there are messing with the ability for that power to be shown... I think that might be it. It's almost as if you are in a certain faction you get the power for free, but if you're not then you won't be able to get it at all.
the way the setting works is that for certain deities the first of the 3 arcane powers a character gets with the background is fixed i.e. every cleric of Scaetha gets Weaken undead and 2 other powers selected from a limited list.

Not sure if what you are describing is the root issue but certainly some of the other signature powers do not show up in the list for other deities that are allowed to use them so that seems to be part of the issue.
Demonetrigan is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Demonetrigan

Old September 7th, 2013, 11:54 AM
after looking at a few more I think you may be right, where a power is assigned as a signature power it is then unavailable to any other deity.
Demonetrigan is offline   #20 Reply With Quote