Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds

Notices

CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 3rd, 2017, 07:00 PM
And this is why Skill Specialization is such an issue. Imagine that Knowledge Skill problem on every Skill.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Fantasy Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 4th, 2017, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
There's a template already in place to do this in Racial Properties. Do a Copy, and and search for Know. You'll see it. .
BWAHAHA! That was awesome. It was like exactly what I needed - a free d6 knowledge skill It took a slight bit of tweaking, but still totally made my day.

I am guessing that there is a entire line of freebie rewards pre-built like that.

Pretty cool! It also serves as a nice code snippet, so it might work as a fishing rod one day instead of a fish.

Topdecker is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 4th, 2017, 05:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
I'm guessing you haven't really looked at the Common Code Examples tread yet. Your answer is the very first code snipped listed. (EDIT: errr... 2nd code snippet, since this is for Knowledge skills).
I've been using the heck out that thread.

However...

perform #resspent[resSkill,-,1,"Latin"]

I don't even know what the name for knowledge(thing_I_know) is - I think that it is domain, but that is just a guess. Anyhow, adding a knowledge skill is easy, but adding the thing_I_know (domain?) isn't too clear to me - and evidently you need to have that set in order to use the code snippet above.

I have the holes in my knowledge that someone with ~12 hours of experience is likely to have. I am not a coder, but I am ok with most scripting languages when I know all of the keywords and names of critical resources.

I think that I got fairly lucky with the setting that I decided to work on. Streets of Bedlam is just complex enough that I am going through about as steep a learning curve as I could endure, but it isn't buried in gear tables and lots of data entry.

You and Caped have been very helpful. With a bit of luck and a lot of perseverance, maybe I'll get SoB off of the wanted list.

Topdecker is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 4th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Ah, i see what you mean. Sorry about that. It definitely looks like you picked it up pretty quick, though. There weren't as many examples and such available when I jumped in on these and the learning curve was quite a bit to work through. Hopefully the extra resources on the forum have helped with that a lot more, though.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #44 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:12 AM
I think that it would be very beneficial to have a goal-specific set of instructions / discussions that layout a lot of the basics as they go. Most peeps are going to want to add edges/hindrances/skills and some will want to add races/groups/factions. I haven't had to add gear yet, but that is probably another discussion point.

Those are the basic tasks that most would-be setting authors/workers would benefit from having some core concepts, visual examples, and some of the terms related to them. Keeping everything in context is key.
Topdecker is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 4th, 2017, 08:17 AM
Caped... I found the mechanisms for adding a requirement free seasoned edge - good stuff. Made a coding dilemma last about 5 minutes
Topdecker is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old August 4th, 2017, 01:54 PM
The Racial Properties are a good base to start from. A lot of issues had to be dealt with in setting those up, so they're already solved.
The field you are looking for is called domDomain. We call it the Domain, and there are variations of that object sprinkled all over the place (cybDomain, robDomain, raceDomain, etc.). They're always an open-ended text field allowing the user to enter anything they want. The one that gets matched to in the Racial Properties is raceDomain. That gets compared to the domDomain on the Knowledge Skill to know which one to apply the bonus to.

_
_
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
CapedCrusader is offline   #47 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader

Old August 4th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Remember, Skill Specializations aren't a set thing. Each individual GM can set their own levels of specialization. Impossible to program for. Hence the open-ended fields for Knowledge Skills.

_
_
CapedCrusader is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 4th, 2017, 07:22 PM
I just passed 70% for completion on SoB. It appears that I will not be tossing in the towel . One day soon I will be trying to create an HL file.

I had reason to put domDomain to use multiple times, so that was good info! One of archetypes had several preset knowledge skills as well as a named delusion. They were easy to set with the right field name.

Topdecker is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 5th, 2017, 11:47 AM
Finished, built, and currently seeking permission. I did plenty of foreshadowing with the author, but never asked since I wasn't even sure that I could get it done.
Topdecker is offline   #50 Reply With Quote