Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

albagyrion

Old January 4th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Thanks to what has really been a nasty east coast storm, I had a snow day to spend indoors and play around with HL. So, I'm learning more and more as I go. I am also learning Pathfinder more or less concurrently, which makes it a bit more of a challenge curve.

At the moment, I am trying to figure out how to represent a skeleton-type critter's attacks. Like the basic skeleton in the PF Bestiary, it can attack with a melee weapon (in my case, a battleaxe), with or without a secondary claw attack. Another option is for the creature to attack with two claw attacks. How should I set this up in HL. The various configurations I've tried do not seem to generate the right stat block output--it seems different from the Bestiary's syntax. That may be fine, but I am hoping someone has a solid way to approach this.

Also, the battleaxe is a one-handed weapon that can be used two-handed. How does HL distinguish between a weapon gripped in one hand vs. using two? Or does it?

As always, thanks for any advice and guidance. These forums are very useful and informative.

MK
albagyrion is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old January 4th, 2018, 07:13 PM
On the weapons tab, each manufactured weapon that has "hands" has two boxes next to it. Checking one or the other box means only 1 hand is using the weapon. Checking both means both hands are using it.

You'll find that creatures with natural attacks has a natural attack removed when equipping a manufactured weapon in either hand.

The changes when you equip/un-equip the weapon happen in the Armory Summary under the Weapons section. As well as in the weapons tab itself under "Other Weapons".
Quintain is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
albagyrion

Old January 4th, 2018, 07:42 PM
Hmmm. I tried that, and I get a "too many weapons equipped in off-hand(s)" complaint. There must be something wrong with the way I've added natural attacks in my custom creature, because the regular skeleton template with a battleaxe works as you describe.

Thanks for the quick reply.
albagyrion is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
albagyrion

Old January 4th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Ah! Apparently my new monster needs hands, specifically set up in the Background tab.
Obvious in retrospect.
albagyrion is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 5th, 2018, 01:21 AM
Equipment sets let you represent, for example 2 claws or 1 claw and axe or axe in 2 hands
Aaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
albagyrion

Old January 5th, 2018, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
Equipment sets let you represent, for example 2 claws or 1 claw and axe or axe in 2 hands
Thanks Aaron. I haven't looked at that feature yet, but that might come in handy as well when I actually start running such creatures in play.
albagyrion is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
albagyrion

Old January 5th, 2018, 05:10 AM
Aaron: Sweet! Equipment sets are things of beauty. That makes the stat block output more like the PF Bestiary format for attacks.

Thanks.

MK
albagyrion is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old January 5th, 2018, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by albagyrion View Post
Aaron: Sweet! Equipment sets are things of beauty. That makes the stat block output more like the PF Bestiary format for attacks.

Thanks.

MK
Stat blocks are one of the main reasons we added equipment sets.
Aaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote