Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepwalk View Post
In regards to the pricing, will the per-player group price extend to more than 5 players? I've got 6 players in my campaign, would they be able to buy a bundle of 6 for $5-6 on top of the 5 copy bundle price? Or would they need to buy a 5 copy bundle for $30, plus an additional single copy for another $10?
5 is the highest number of copies per bundle. If you need 6 player copies, you'd need to do the 5 copy bundle for $29.99 and a single copy for $9.99. We chose to stop by bundles of 5 based on feedback we received from our Beta users as to the average number of players per gaming group. We had to draw the line somewhere, so we stopped bundling at 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThiel View Post
How will the GM version Interface with the Player Edition? I'm not referring to revealing things in the GM version but how will the Player log in and access it?
A GM will invite a player the Player Edition to participate in their Realm (their game). If a player accepts that invitation, that tells our server that the revealed content can be synced down from "the cloud" to that player.

If you're looking for more specific technical details let me know and I'll pass the answer on to some else.
liz is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Two quick notes...

Players have their own accounts. GMs will manage which players have access to their realms on an individual basis, so a GM could invite one set of players to Realm#1 and a different set of players to Realm#2. Or the two groups could overlap. A player can also participate in realms of different GMs.

Web-based player access is going to start coming online late this year - at the earliest. The Player Edition provides all the same capabilities that you have as a GM, except that the user can't edit anything. Players can view everything that's been revealed, navigate through it, filter it, etc. In contract, the web-based interface will start out very limited in functionality and grow over time, so there will be a significant difference in capabilities between the two when web-based access first comes online. The key advantages of the web-based interface will be that it can run on any device via the browser and it will be free.

Hope this clears up any uncertainty!
rob is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 11th, 2014, 04:42 PM
To be honest, the freeness is nice, but I think its the lesser of the two advantages. (5 players for 25-30 bucks is what most groups spend on snacks in one session) The real advantage, in my opinion, is the ability to look at things when not with a computer using RealmsWorks.

I know I cant install it at work, but i can use chrome or any browser. So many people are in similar situations.

just my two cents.
mirtos is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
beholdsa

Old August 12th, 2014, 11:06 AM
My biggest issue is platform. Between myself and my players, there isn't a single Windows user. I primarily run Linux, and my players all run Mac (or use Android tablets).

I'm technically savvy enough that I can install a VM, put Windows on it and run RealmWorks through that. But that's well beyond the abilities of most of my players.

Player Edition may be nice for some, but I'm really hoping the web interface comes along.
beholdsa is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 12th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
5 is the highest number of copies per bundle. If you need 6 player copies, you'd need to do the 5 copy bundle for $29.99 and a single copy for $9.99. We chose to stop by bundles of 5 based on feedback we received from our Beta users as to the average number of players per gaming group. We had to draw the line somewhere, so we stopped bundling at 5.
Why not set the final bundle to allow the buyer to purchase additional copies at a discount? For example the bundle of 5 is $29.99 and each additional copy is $7. This is only good for that transaction so if someone new joins the group after the program is bought the new person would pay $9.99 if she wants a copy. Everyone (but the new person ;-) wins.
ruhar is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
LonePaladin

Old August 12th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Is there any possibility that those of use who have already paid for a full GM copy might receive a few complimentary player licenses? I'm on a very limited (read: ~$0) budget.
LonePaladin is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 12th, 2014, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePaladin View Post
Is there any possibility that those of use who have already paid for a full GM copy might receive a few complimentary player licenses? I'm on a very limited (read: ~$0) budget.
Have your players pay for it. They're the ones who will benefit from it. It's easier for each of them to pitch a few dollars than you coughing up the full amount.

I've seen a few posts about the GM buying for all of the players. Why is this an issue? Fellow GMs, we spend a lot of time between games getting ready for the next game. You paid for Realm Works, which cost a lot more than the Players Edition. And how many of you have bought books beyond what the players have not to mention miniatures, props and who knows what else. The players can pay $6-$10 for the Player Edition. If they prefer they can wait a few months and use the web based version. Let the players pay for their program!
ruhar is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old August 13th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I think the point of a GM paying for player copies is that the GM is trying to promote the tool as the place for his players to view the contents, and to provide journals and such. I know my group has people who won't pay for it on their own as they don't think pay tools like RW are "worth it". If I want them to use it, I provide licenses as it's my choice to use the tool. Same goes for Hero Lab, I provide time on our laptops and the iPad for them to use to update their characters every level. Only one of my players (two if you count my husband) has Hero Lab.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 13th, 2014, 04:51 PM
it depends on a lot of things, age, income level, etc.

i know my group spends more than that on session snacks.

but i agree, if you cant/dont want to afford it, then ask the players IF they want to know out of game what info they have. otherwise just keep using the player view until the web interface comes out.
mirtos is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old August 13th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofdragons View Post
I think the point of a GM paying for player copies is that the GM is trying to promote the tool as the place for his players to view the contents, and to provide journals and such. I know my group has people who won't pay for it on their own as they don't think pay tools like RW are "worth it". If I want them to use it, I provide licenses as it's my choice to use the tool. Same goes for Hero Lab, I provide time on our laptops and the iPad for them to use to update their characters every level. Only one of my players (two if you count my husband) has Hero Lab.
I didn't realize there were players who didn't want to join the electronic age. I guess I'm pretty lucky, most of my players use their laptops. Only one prefers paper, though he finally broke down and got Hero Lab, and one doesn't have a laptop.
ruhar is offline   #30 Reply With Quote