Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Ualaa

Old September 22nd, 2013, 05:58 PM
I recently picked up Hero Lab, with the Pathfinder rule set, and like it a lot.
I've added a few data sets (Advanced Player's Guide, Advanced Race Guide, Mythic Adventures, Ultimate Combat, Ultimate Equipment, Ultimate Magic, and the Bestiary bundle).
I've also imported the information for Psionics Unleashed.

At the moment, I don't know a whole lot about the editor but am in the process of learning it.
In the past I've used DM Genie, and some of my scripts worked but many did not; I'm not the best at that kind of thing, but am very willing to try.

Can these be implemented?
How would you approach scripting/building this into HL?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Also, if I modify the Pathfinder system does that create a conflict with Psionics Unleashed or other data sets?

Characters
i) Characters gain bonus hit points equal to their initial CON score, at character creation; this value doesn't change, if their Constitution later changes.
ii) Characters gain maximum hit points, at levels one and two.
iii) Characters roll D4s for hit points thereafter, and add a bonus based on their class hit die (D6 classes roll 1D4+2; D8 classes roll 1D4+4; D10 classes roll 1D4+6; D12 classes roll 1D4+8).
iv) Every class gains a minimum of 4 + INT skill points per level.
v) At level one, the player designates any two saving throws as 'Good' and the third save is 'Poor'; once made, saving throws follow this progression irregardless of classes chosen.

Attacks
vi) The maximum threat range is 18-20 and the maximum critical multiplier is x4; no combination of powers/feats/abilities/etc can ever exceed these values.
vii) Weapons cannot deal more than 3d8 base weapon damage, irregardless of size increases of the user or weapon, etc... (sneak attacks or a magical property add their fixed amount, to whatever damage the weapon deals).
viii) At BAB +6 a character gains a second attack, but both receive a -2 penalty; at BAB +11 the penalty is reduced to -1 per attack; at BAB +16 the penalty is removed. Abilities like Rapid Shot, Two-Weapon Fighting or a Haste effect can add extra attacks and impose the normal penalties, if any.
ix) Add a numerical value called 'Combat Reactions', which is set to 1 (at BAB +0 or greater) and increases to 2 (at BAB +5), 3 (at BAB +10), 4 (at BAB +15), and 5 (at BAB +20). Just want the Combat Reactions number, somewhere on the character sheet.
x) Rather than a percentage chance to negate a critical hit, Fortification imposes a penalty (-2 Light, -4 Medium, and -10 Heavy) to confirm critical hits.

Feats
xi) At each level up, any one feat that is not a prerequisite for something you possess can be exchanged for another feat that you qualify for.
xii) Magical item creation feats (except for Brew Potion, Craft Wand and Scribe Scroll) are not eligible choices; the Gun related feats are disallowed, unless the character possesses levels in the Gunslinger class; Leadership is not available.
xiii) Feats that normally apply to a single weapon (weapon focus, improved critical etc) instead apply to all weapons from one of these categories: Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing, Ranged, Firearms. Exotic Weapon Proficiency still only applies to a single new weapon.

Other
xiv) Like 'Combat Reactions', add a numerical value field for both 'Hero Points' and 'Action Points' with both reseting on level up (HPs to 2 & APs to 6).
xv) Add a field called 'Buff Slots', and calculate how many a given character can have (1 at LV/HD 1, 2 at LV/HD 6, 3 at LV/HD 11, and 4 at LV/HD 16+).
Ualaa is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
RavenX
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:31 AM

RavenX Pronouns: She/Her

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; September 23rd, 2013 at 07:51 PM.
RavenX is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
As for building these in? I'd have to say no. You don't get access to the source code, and you would need that to make the changes you want.
Wow stop. I can guarantee you I could do everyone of the things he has above. Some I agree are not easy for a new person to the editor but they all can be done. The list of things that can't be done with the editor is pretty small actually. Now I agree the time it may take to code and get to work could be more than many people want to do.

I do agree about the HP stuff as that is mostly you type in a value. For the "Con" bonus you could start with the adjustments and learn how their scripts work and code the logic into a Mechanic.

So my advice to Ualaa is pick "one" of the things above to start working on learning the Editor. Don't try and overwhelm yourself by doing them all.

First stop of course is read the FAQ on the editor and watch the videos.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old September 23rd, 2013, 09:54 AM
I think you've both got good points. As you say, ShadowChemosh, the program is very moddable and Ualaa should start slow if he wants to program these house rules. RavenX is correct in pointing out that many of them can be accomplished with existing adjustments, and that would be much easier for a lay-person who would rather not go to the trouble.
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:48 PM

Please do not PM me to inquire about datafiles I coded "for personal use" such as Exalted, World of Darkness, AD&D, or Warhammer 40K Roleplaying. I appreciate your interest, but I do not own the Intellectual Property rights to these game systems. Nor do I have permission from any of the Publishers to distribute the data files. As such, I cannot distribute the work I have done with community on these files. They are "for personal use" only. Thank you.

I am far too busy these days to answer emails. If you message me here there is no guarantee I will get back to you at all.

Last edited by RavenX; September 23rd, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
RavenX is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:35 PM
Quote:
You could do these house rules yourself. I could do them as well. But you and I have experience under hero labs hood tinkering with raw XML.
Very little of what I do requires raw XML access as I use the normal editor everyone else here uses 99% of the time. You incorrectly told the guy he can't do it which is wrong. Sorry but you gave a new person invalid data about the Editor.

You have no idea this person experience or time is and what you he is willing to learn. I said it could take time to learn but why would you say "no" it can't be done? Everything he asked for can be done.

Also I am not going to get into some type of argument over this. You told him incorrect information and I corrected you. If the guy wants to learn whats the issue with him learning? I purchased the software after trying out the editor for 9 months. That was 9 months where I used the software in DEMO mode before buying. How do you know this guy is not the same way and only has DEMO mode and researching its capabilities before buying?

You seem to be getting upset and I really don't understand the issue....

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.

Last edited by ShadowChemosh; September 23rd, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
viii) At BAB +6 a character gains a second attack, but both receive a -2 penalty; at BAB +11 the penalty is reduced to -1 per attack; at BAB +16 the penalty is removed. Abilities like Rapid Shot, Two-Weapon Fighting or a Haste effect can add extra attacks and impose the normal penalties, if any.
I apologize but this one that can't be done. Though I think new stuff was added for Mythic which I have not looked at yet. So "maybe" with how they did the mythic BAB changes it could be.

So my bad this is one I see can't be done. Many you have listed with HP and stuff has no need to be done as it really affects nothing. Like getting max HP at level two just means the player types in max HP. No scripting or anything special required.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
RavenX

Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:10 PM

Last edited by RavenX; September 23rd, 2013 at 07:52 PM.
RavenX is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:18 PM
Quote:
If you want to try it go ahead, I'm just not seeing this as an easy list of changes to make. But since I'm wrong, and you're right, by all means go ahead and try.
I never said it was easy or it was quick. You seem to be picking that idea up off something I never typed. I said it can all be done. And you don't need .1st file to make a source. You do the normal ones from inside the editor. So again no XML required.

You told the guy it can't be done which is not right. I am saying it can be done with time and effort. With enough time and money I can make your PC stand up and dance a jig. The issue of course is time and money not "can" it be done.

My original statement is still true that everything but the BAB can be done and even that I could find work around for. You incorrectly told him no because you are relating "time/effort" into a question that was not asked.

And you keep talking about me NOT helping this person. Yet I have helped thousands of people at this point on these boards. Yourself included. So this weird idea that I am not going to help is very strange to me. Will I do the work for him the answer is of course no. Will I "help" teach him how to use the editor or how to search the forums or Things to find his own answer "YES" I will.

Today's newbie can be tomorrows editor that helps to build or expand the HL community and packages. That is what happened to myself so why would I not be passing that on to others?

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:52 PM
I am going to go over each point quickly. Its not meant to be a in-depth scripting answer to each question. My advice is to "pick" one issue below to start learning from. At that point I would advise making a new thread with your question and what you need help with.

Quote:
I recently picked up Hero Lab, with the Pathfinder rule set, and like it a lot.
Welcome to the fun of HL and the editor. Please ignore the stuff above.

Quote:
At the moment, I don't know a whole lot about the editor but am in the process of learning it.
If you have not already please see FAQ#2 about learning the editor the resources that are available.

Quote:
i) Characters gain bonus hit points equal to their initial CON score, at character creation; this value doesn't change, if their Constitution later changes.
You can start with using the Adjustments on the Adjust tab to up your HP. You can then use the adjustment as a starting point to learn how to script the bonus yourself.

Quote:
ii) Characters gain maximum hit points, at levels one and two.
Characters already get max HP at level 1 so done. For level two the player simply types in max HP again. No scripting/changes required.

Quote:
iii) Characters roll D4s for hit points thereafter, and add a bonus based on their class hit die (D6 classes roll 1D4+2; D8 classes roll 1D4+4; D10 classes roll 1D4+6; D12 classes roll 1D4+8).
HL don't roll dice so nothing to implement here.

Quote:
iv) Every class gains a minimum of 4 + INT skill points per level.
The adjust tab is your friend here. Eventually you could make a "Mechanic" that does a foreach through the Classes and changes their skill points to a minimum value of 4. Something I would leave for a little later.

Quote:
v) At level one, the player designates any two saving throws as 'Good' and the third save is 'Poor'; once made, saving throws follow this progression irregardless of classes chosen.
No current adjustment for this but I have one coming out for my Adjustments addon that will be able to change save progressions. So you could use those for this houserule if you like.

Quote:
vi) The maximum threat range is 18-20 and the maximum critical multiplier is x4; no combination of powers/feats/abilities/etc can ever exceed these values.
This will take a bit of scripting as you will have to override some of the built in Tags that control Keen and Improved Critical. But as long as you do the work just after the skeletal stuff makes its changes you would be fine. Until then my Adjustments addon has one called "Weapon Crit Range" that is able to totally override the HL settings for a weapon crit range. You either use that or learn from the script to implement this houserule automatically.

Quote:
vii) Weapons cannot deal more than 3d8 base weapon damage, irregardless of size increases of the user or weapon, etc... (sneak attacks or a magical property add their fixed amount, to whatever damage the weapon deals).
Hmm I can't think of any current adjustment for this. This again can be scripted but its pretty complex. I would wait to try this to much later after you have learned more about HL editor. If you want some code to help with the code that runs my new Vital Strike feat would be very helpful in getting this to work.

Quote:
This can't really be done. What you can do is either set these new values onto a weapons "livename". Its not perfect but you would get the values. So for example it would say "+1 Longsword +7/+5" as the weapons name. The best way again would be a mechanic in the background with a foreach loop running through all the weapons that are live on the character.

Quote:
ix) Add a numerical value called 'Combat Reactions', which is set to 1 (at BAB +0 or greater) and increases to 2 (at BAB +5), 3 (at BAB +10), 4 (at BAB +15), and 5 (at BAB +20). Just want the Combat Reactions number, somewhere on the character sheet.
x) Rather than a percentage chance to negate a critical hit, Fortification imposes a penalty (-2 Light, -4 Medium, and -10 Heavy) to confirm critical hits.
I would create an Ability Thing that did this calculation and bootstrap it to your mechanic so that it displays on all characters. Then have it set to "Show in Specials List?" so that it shows in HL and on a character sheet.

Quote:
xi) At each level up, any one feat that is not a prerequisite for something you possess can be exchanged for another feat that you qualify for.
Simple really. Just remove the feat from the character and add the feat you want. No scripting required here.

Quote:
xii) Magical item creation feats (except for Brew Potion, Craft Wand and Scribe Scroll) are not eligible choices; the Gun related feats are disallowed, unless the character possesses levels in the Gunslinger class; Leadership is not available.
The *PRECLUDE tab here is your friend for the craft feats and Leadership. You will make a new "Source ID" up for your house rules and then when turned on HL will hide anything you have setup on the *PRECLUDE tab. You could also just use the *HIDDEN tab and not make a new Source ID if you want.

For the gun stuff my advice for now would be go into "Configure Your Hero" window and go to the "Firearm Availability" section and set it to "No Guns". That hides the gunslinger class and feats. If a player wants to play or is allowed to play the Gunslinger then change the option to the correct Availability.

Quote:
xiii) Feats that normally apply to a single weapon (weapon focus, improved critical etc) instead apply to all weapons from one of these categories: Bludgeoning, Piercing, Slashing, Ranged, Firearms. Exotic Weapon Proficiency still only applies to a single new weapon.
This is a bit more of advance scripting but can be done with changing the core feats. You would then use a feature called "Replaces Thing ID" which allows your new feats to act in all ways to the core feat.

Basically based on the choice of a drop down from the feat you would have to script a foreach loop to find all the weapons of the chosen choice and apply the feat to them. I would advise this for later.

Quote:
xiv) Like 'Combat Reactions', add a numerical value field for both 'Hero Points' and 'Action Points' with both reseting on level up (HPs to 2 & APs to 6).
These are both already in HL. So if you want the max value of Action Points to be 6 not 5+1/2 your level you would have to make a script (most likely on your mechanic) to adjust the field[trkMax].value to be set to 6.

You could also change the script logic directly and then do a "Replace Thing ID" to have it replace the normal action point tracker.

Quote:
xv) Add a field called 'Buff Slots', and calculate how many a given character can have (1 at LV/HD 1, 2 at LV/HD 6, 3 at LV/HD 11, and 4 at LV/HD 16+).
This would be a new "Ability" Thing that you would have to create and script to show this new value. Then bootstrap it to your new Mechanic so that it appears on your new character.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote