Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

McTaff

Old April 28th, 2017, 08:06 AM
A couple of things have been noted in my gaming group amongst the iPad app users...

1) When using a weapon, most players I game with like to just go ahead and roll all relevant dice together to speed up the gameplay. In a nutshell, rolling the To Hit and Damage dice together. The app requires several presses to go forward and backward.

In addition if I hit "Full Attack" it should spit out each attack, and the damage in an array that's easy to read off - incorporating all relevant feats (rapid shot, manyshot, etc for example)

2) The app does not instantly recognise if you have scored a critical threat or critical hit. (Nor if a saving throw is an auto-success or auto-fail for 20 or 1 respectively, either)

It seems as if it should be an easy matter to program in an optional function that if a critical threat is scored, that the app rolls again and displays both results so as to speed up the flow of the game. Also, having the damage be worked out ahead as well (the app could have a simple "yes/no" for the player to press, and it would then spit out either critical or normal damage directly from there.)

3) A random die roller - something as simple as an icon tucked away in a corner that will allow you to quickly generate anything from a d20 roll to 4d6 or 2d10, or whatever you might need in a hurry.

4) A "rollback" for negative levels and ability score damage. When someone gets thwacked with negative levels, it's impossible to retroactively work out what they lose. If the app kept track of previous levels and other information, it would be easier for players to just press a few buttons and keep playing.
Answered.
... thanks.

As an android user, I'm still waiting for an Android app of course, but it seems the iPad users can often struggle with the speed at which they can effect certain simple sequences - hoping this can all get ironed out for them.

-'Taff

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"

Last edited by McTaff; April 29th, 2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: One point sorted out
McTaff is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 28th, 2017, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by McTaff View Post
4) A "rollback" for negative levels and ability score damage. When someone gets thwacked with negative levels, it's impossible to retroactively work out what they lose. If the app kept track of previous levels and other information, it would be easier for players to just press a few buttons and keep playing.
In Pathfinder, negative levels are not treated as if the levels were never earned.

Check the rules in the glossary at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/c.../glossary.html
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old April 28th, 2017, 05:51 PM
Conceded - we never looked at that closely. The point is, however, that there is no easy way to work it out using the app to apply all penalties.

McTaff is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 28th, 2017, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Conceded - we never looked at that closely. The point is, however, that there is no easy way to work it out using the app to apply all penalties.
Why can't you apply the Adjustment?

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old April 29th, 2017, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Why can't you apply the Adjustment?
I'm not the iPad user myself (I have Android devices), so if there is an adjustment, I will endeavour to find it. The other players couldn't find it but might not have been looking altogether that closely.

Thanks SC.

McTaff is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 29th, 2017, 10:05 AM
Quote:
I'm not the iPad user myself (I have Android devices), so if there is an adjustment, I will endeavour to find it. The other players couldn't find it but might not have been looking altogether that closely.

Thanks SC.
At the bottom of the In-Play area, where they see weapons and can roll dice, is a button called "Adjustments". They go there and can see Spells, Conferred, and other adjustments just like the desktop version of HL.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old May 16th, 2017, 03:14 AM
To /rerail this - is there any comment on any of the unanswered points that we can get?

The first three points could really speed up the flow of play at the table, we feel.

McTaff is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 16th, 2017, 07:11 AM
Your suggestions sound like they are specific to a game system, and how that game plays. In responding to Farling, that seems to be Pathfinder. As such, this probably should be in the Pathfinder forum.
Silveras is offline   #8 Reply With Quote