Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Nuzbad Ug Urdgunz

Old August 25th, 2014, 08:19 AM
both hex and overlay grids are stupidly useful !!!
Nuzbad Ug Urdgunz is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old May 29th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuzbad Ug Urdgunz View Post
both hex and overlay grids are stupidly useful !!!
Oh indeed! Right now I've got 32 images that I'm going to fill with pins, and at the moment I'm going to have a duplicate set so I've got one with a grid, one without...

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 29th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Maybe another approach would be to "copy all pins to another image". That way you could create multiple maps that all share the same information. In particular, I'm thinking of GM, player, gridded, gridless and historical views but I'm sure there are others. It would be great to start from a master set of pins that could be copied and then remove/add those applicable to the new map (must be the same size).
AEIOU is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old May 29th, 2015, 01:27 PM
These are some great ideas. I would love to be able to have a GM only view of the current overland map I am using for my Kingmaker campaign.
JustinThomason is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old May 30th, 2015, 03:13 AM
As soon as I read this thread, I knew I badly want overlays too, despite not having a clue on how to create one - nor the correct program to do it.

*sigh*.

But a +1 to add this to the dev list. Please.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"
McTaff is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old May 30th, 2015, 09:40 AM
My thought on how overlays might work would be to have the ability to add additional image files with a transparency layer (e.g., PNG). As long as the new image is the same resolution as the base image, it should work to turn that secondary image on or off - at least in theory.

My thought on application would be to use a program like GIMP or Photoshop which allows the creation of layers to make the individual overlays as separate layers, then export each layer as it's own PNG with transparency.

For instance, you could start with the base map with all physical features, then add things like political boarders in a layer. If you export the "Political" layer as a discrete file with the transparency intact, you could add that to the smart image as an overlay, and you'd be able to reveal or hide political borders by turning the overlay on or off.

Obvious caveat - I am not a programmer, so my "simple and straight forward" solution is certainly anything but. However, from a practical application/usability standpoint, I don't think it would be all that convoluted a function to add.

Last edited by JustinThomason; May 30th, 2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Clarity
JustinThomason is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 31st, 2015, 12:48 AM
Another aspect to the user of overlays would be to allow the pins to be grouped together (call each group a "layer" if you like). So that I could switch on the pin layer for settlement names separately from the visibility of the geographical region pins.

Writing the above, I just realised you could partially do this with a "filter" based on the type of category for each pin that is linked to a topic. Although it doesn't cover unlinked pins.
Farling is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 31st, 2015, 07:01 AM
Pin groups. That sounds useful for world maps for sure. Or to quickly isolate things that can get lost like traps or secret doors.
AEIOU is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:42 AM
Pin groups are another fantastic idea!
JustinThomason is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old June 5th, 2015, 06:56 AM
+1 to this idea!

D100 for life!
gloranphile is offline   #20 Reply With Quote