Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

Zaphod Beebledoc

Old December 1st, 2014, 05:49 AM
I think that importing from PDF is unnecessary. I have a lot of data in spreadsheets, which can easily be saved in .csv format.

Possibly we would need to know the database ID of the topic to import to precisely the correct topic. This would have to be shown, but obviously non-editable.

I envisage importing, say tags, thus:

If a person has a database Id of 54997977, and you want to import a birthdate of 01/12/2014.

ID[54997977],Cat[Backg],Calen[Birth Date{01/12/2014}]

I think that you would need to ensure that the snippet types exist first, but there could be an error report if there are any errors. (And the importer would skip over those errors, instead of reporting them one-by-one.)

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old December 1st, 2014, 06:06 AM
Also a way to bulk change dates from one calendar to another would be very handy, as then dates could be imported as real-world dates, and changed to in-game dates. (This would save the hassle of supporting lots of different calendar styles.)

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old December 1st, 2014, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
ID[54997977],Cat[Backg],Calen[Birth Date{01/12/2014}]
Quote:
Also a way to bulk change dates from one calendar to another would be very handy, as then dates could be imported as real-world dates, and changed to in-game dates. (This would save the hassle of supporting lots of different calendar styles.)
Actually, you could specify which calendar to change it to in the import, so that would cut the number of steps. I would suggest a way to bulk change dates would still be helpful.

So for a date in a calendar which is not the real world one, but maps to the real world one...

ID[54997977],Cat[Backg],Calen[Birth Date(Calendar#4){01/12/2014}]

Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 1st, 2014, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Actually First, I would put this under a calendar Requested Item since it is less to do with bulk importing of data and more to do with data manipulation (in this case dates).

and as to "Hassle" it defeats the purpose of multiple calendars and why that feature is important and useful.

For Example:
I may have many differing races that use different calendar names, different holidays, or may have Lycanthropes that are not concerned solely with what day it is but where that fits on a lunar calendar.

Or to further expand, there may be some that wish to utilize RW where differing planets use different means of dating or time passage. The DM (GM for you youngsters) may want to have a "game calendar" that tracks the passing of time regardless of which planet the PC is on.

Example#2
Venus's day lasting 243 earth days (yea 1 day=243 here) or pluto's day only being less than 7 earth days but one "pluto year" (ie orbit) is 248 earth years. So if the PC stays the "day on Venus" Returns to earth for "a day", then spends a "day on pluto" the DM's game calendar can do that.
the PC may have spent 1 day on each planet, but the time spent (not including travel) would be longer (243+1+7= 251)

If you kept calendars as real-world dates, you would import them as such, and simply change the calendar type (as defined in the calendar feature coming soon to a RW near you) and have what you are describing PLUS the ability to change that calendar to a multitude of others. INSTEAD of re-importing it with a different structure.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old December 1st, 2014, 05:01 PM
I was thinking of the devs when I said "hassle."

I'd read somewhere, I think it was the calendar thread, about how much work it would be to support the pasting of all the different calendars that you could create in RW. My thought was that if they kept pasting/importing to Gregorian formats, then offered a way to bulk change dates to other calendar formats, that would help DM's.

Wish I'd have made my posting more clearer, but I'd just had an afterthought to my original post and hastily posted. I'll post in the calendar thread with this idea.

Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old May 29th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Just thinking about this and I've come up with a temporary solution.

Ctrl-Shift-Q opens up an expanded quick create dialog that is a bit more like a table.

Current Quick Create (Ctrl-Q)

Bulk Quick Create... (Ctrl-Shift-Q)

Excuse the crude mock-up! I'm working in Paint here!

Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old May 29th, 2015, 01:31 PM
I absolutely LOVE the idea of a bulk quick create. Thus would find a lot of use in my Realm.

+10
JustinThomason is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 29th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Ohhhh, shiny! Nice suggestion, Zaphod.
AEIOU is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 29th, 2015, 09:18 PM
Bulk Quick Create would be wonderful!
MNBlockHead is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old May 30th, 2015, 03:11 AM