Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

McTaff

Old May 20th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I've seen various requests for 'more icons' for use in the game. This could cover:
- Topic icons (there needs to be far more varied ones, and categorising them and a much larger drop down menu to select from them would be beneficial).
- View World Almanac / Other View Button icons (a globe with a book is the only thing we have besides coloured shapes... ?)

I've also noticed the Smart Image manipulation menu in particular is quite basic and could seriously use some improvement. It's tiny and has too much submenu action. Either incorporate it with the ribbon bar up the top (Home, Manage, Help, Format, Smart Image), or have it able to be moved from border to border and collapsed.

To this end, I respectfully suggest that you consider crowdsourcing the icons and UI elements out that need improving. There are a few people in this world that have the necessary skill, so why not give them the opportunity to contribute?
A brief guideline on what you want, dimensions, pixels, colours, with the stipulation they have to be 'in keeping' with the style of the current UI / icons. Having people create the resources for you would be a good way of cutting down on development time, leaving only insertion into the program.

If you can put out 'batches' or 'lists', people could pick and choose whatever they want to have a try at, and then the LWD team can pick the ones they need. For elements of the UI like the Smart Image

As for 'payment', perhaps just have a few prizes to give to some of the more skilled and prolific creators: a few Player Edition keys to give away, and/or a few months free Cloud service That way, it's more a friendly competition.

You may get plenty of takers. You may get none. Whatever - but it's worth asking.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"

Last edited by McTaff; May 21st, 2015 at 06:02 AM. Reason: clarity is gooder than confuselating
McTaff is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old May 20th, 2015, 11:24 PM
I'd love to see more icons available for categories - I've long since run out and had to start re-using them.

There is a problem with legal liability when crowdsourcing things like this to include with the official distribution, though: LWD woud have to be able to prove that those who submitted images that get included in the product actually owned the rights to those images, and thus were legally able to let LWD use the images.

On the other hand, I'd love it if the user had the ability to add images to the list for his or her own use.

-Ian
ibecker is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old May 21st, 2015, 12:47 AM
+1

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old May 21st, 2015, 06:06 AM
Exactly, ibecker.
I thought offhand of about two dozen icons that would be useful no matter the game system, and about two dozen more specific to PF/D&D

But the World Almanac Button simply being given a handful of coloured shapes drives me nuts. At least slap a few existing icons on them - a pair of footprints, and a person would be ideal right away. But thinking outside the box there could be quite a reasonable number of options out there I haven't thought of, and plenty that I have.

And yes, submitting them would be legally a bit of a minefield - but Google Image Search might sort a little wheat from the chaff.

The call for icons has been blown plenty of times before; but I'm trying to think of a way to give the devs a head start on the assets being pre-prepared for them so once all the code and insertion is taken care of, they only really have to open up a folder full of preselected icons ready to go and just shake 'em out of a cereal box and add milk.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"
McTaff is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old May 21st, 2015, 09:14 AM
+1
This would be cool.
tkarn is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old May 21st, 2015, 11:55 AM
I'd love to see this type of customization be implemented via the Marketplace. That way people could create icon sets and maybe even themes that others could quickly adopt. It would also allow for free or paid. User uploads to the Marketplace will undoubtedly include IP language regarding fair use and I'm hoping it'll allow us to clearly define what copyright or copyleft we want to apply to our own creations.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old May 21st, 2015, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I'd love to see this type of customization be implemented via the Marketplace. That way people could create icon sets and maybe even themes that others could quickly adopt. It would also allow for free or paid. User uploads to the Marketplace will undoubtedly include IP language regarding fair use and I'm hoping it'll allow us to clearly define what copyright or copyleft we want to apply to our own creations.
^ THIS. I think it would be cool that if you buy an adventure, the icons would match the games system or even be adventure specific. Not sure how practical this would be to implement. You would have to use custom templates for everything and I could see that being unweildly. Customizable skins for default templates would be the next best thing.
MNBlockHead is offline   #7 Reply With Quote