Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Mettius

Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM
I would like to be able to create a new category but based on an existing one so that I don't have to manually add the Category Structure, etc.

Basically I'd like to be (In Manage, Categories) able to right click on it it and have a "duplicate" option, which pops up as an "unknown" or whatever for the Name, but all other details are an exact clone of the source category.

For example, I would like to duplicate the "Region: Celestial" category object as "Region: Sector".
Mettius is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mettius

Old August 2nd, 2014, 11:56 AM
Well... it only took me 5 minutes after posting this to see there was a way to duplicate. Just not with a right click.

I see now the tools menu has an option to duplicate. Doh! (But a right click menu basically popping up the tool menu would be a nice short cut).
Mettius is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 2nd, 2014, 04:54 PM
It'd be nice if we could derive a category from a base category so the derived category picks up changes from its base category. (Good for things like items, where a simple item has a set of stats and other items like weapons have those stats and extra ones.)

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mettius

Old August 2nd, 2014, 07:15 PM
Yes, inheritance would be good.
Mettius is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 5th, 2014, 11:23 PM
The original design of Realm Works included full inheritance of category definitions. Unfortunately, that model fostered confusion among many members of our Beta team. For programmer types, inheritance is great. For non-programmer types, it adds a level of complexity that merely raises the barrier of entry to the product while adding comparatively minimal benefit (how many levels of inheritance make sense in RW?). It also significantly complicated a number of other things internally. We ultimately ended up ripping it out as a bad idea, which made things must simpler to grasp in many ways, eliminated some complicated code, and lost us very little in the end. Only a handful of users have expressed a desire for this, and only a couple members of the Beta team actually lamented the loss when we ripped it out (and only mildly).
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote