Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Shadowfoot

Old November 22nd, 2019, 02:24 PM
Are there any plans to permit importing characters made by other people? This will be useful for NPCs and to give GMs the details about players, confirming they are made according to the settings permitted for the campaign.
Shadowfoot is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 23rd, 2019, 04:37 AM
That will probably be provided by the Campaign Theatre that might be launching soon-ish.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 25th, 2019, 11:03 AM
Campaigns will initially launch with the ability to import characters you've made on your own account, as well as characters from purchased content (that's the "Create from library" button on the character selection screen).

Campaigns won't initially launch with the ability to share characters across accounts. I don't know where that falls on our priorities right now, but I know we want to offer something like that eventually.
Joe is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old November 29th, 2019, 04:52 PM
Sure would be nice if we could export characters in JSON or something similar. I thought this would have been already, along with the html, bbcode, etc.

I'm sure you know already why I'm asking. To create character importers for Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Dave

Castles & Crusades Ruleset for Hero Lab
Hero Lab (5E D&D) -> Fantasy Grounds Character Converter
BoomerET is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old November 30th, 2019, 06:21 AM
Joe, IMHO, sharing characters across accounts is critical. Not sure why it hasn't been there already (and should be as I wouldn't think it's a campaign feature). We're just asking for simple export/import. This along with fixing the PDF output so it prints all the information needed (I won't even get into the separate file issue) should be at the top of the list.....not a nice to have 2 years from now.
Flyteach
flyteach is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
talsharien

Old December 1st, 2019, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
Joe, IMHO, sharing characters across accounts is critical. Not sure why it hasn't been there already (and should be as I wouldn't think it's a campaign feature). We're just asking for simple export/import. This along with fixing the PDF output so it prints all the information needed (I won't even get into the separate file issue) should be at the top of the list.....not a nice to have 2 years from now.
Flyteach
Agreed
talsharien is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 1st, 2019, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
Flyteach
I believe that Joe using the term "import" actually keeps the characters associated with their original accounts, but they are also displayed in the ref's campaign theatre.

This wouldn't require a corresponding export to get the character back to the players.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old December 2nd, 2019, 03:10 PM
I understand that, but if I want to give a character I've built to another person (with a current paid up active account of course) then I should be able to do that. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to share a character file just like an HLC portfolio file can be shared, including putting the file on a web site for community use. That's powerful and that's what I'm asking for.
flyteach is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 2nd, 2019, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
That will probably be provided by the Campaign Theatre that might be launching soon-ish.
I was mostly responding to Farling's statement here, where he implied a relationship to the upcoming Campaigns functionality.

I should have said "The Campaigns launch won't include the ability to share characters across accounts, outside of players being able to import their PCs into the campaign."

Any future support for direct copying of characters between accounts, or exporting for use in 3rd party software will not likely be tied to Campaigns.
Joe is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old December 4th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Joe, please don't add information to my request/critique. I'm not referring to 3rd party software. I just want to share between users of HLO.
flyteach is offline   #10 Reply With Quote