Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Exmortis

Old March 4th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I constantly use my iPad at home and work. When I run to a meeting I don't want to disconnect my laptop and shut down the 15 software tools I have running. So much easier to bring the iPad. I easily take hand written notes, take text notes in Evernote. And we often have white board designs that I then take a picture of and put into Evernote. Hell several different apps let me log into the servers from my iPad. For the few that doesn't work on I use splashtop to log into my laptop and view it from there.

Now if I need the notes for the meeting I have them on my iPad, my laptop, and my iPhone. Same with the pictures that are auto-synced between my i devices. Plus more and more people on my job site are using text messages or google hangouts to talk to each other. And now "yammer"... ug facebook for work... Those are all have very nice apps that work on i devices and they sync between my devices. So if all I have is my phone I have a copy of all the conversations.

I see those that that bring laptops but just as many people on my job sites have an iPad in the meeting. Lighter, easier to use, and does everything my laptop can do. Ok it can't run an eclipse IDE but I don't need that for 90% of what I do during the day.

Even cooler is one of our conference rooms has a new Apple TV instead of dumb plasmas. So I can now easily display my iPad info (word documents, excel document, design documents) to the Apple TV using AirPlay.

First what does plasma have to do with apple TV? Personally I own a plasma because no LCD with or with out LED back light can compare, plain and simple. However, bring on the OLED!

Shutdown apps whe you disconnect? no need dude, sorry but something isn't strring the coolaid there, I never shut down a single app when I disconnect and go, ever, unless I am going home. But I agree Ipad over lappy? big deal in carrying weight.

We are going wireless in our building, cutting the cord over the next year, so as we now transition to MS surface, our workstationa are tablets, no need for more than one machine, its light, and runs at the meeting room same as it does at your desk, minus the keyboard/mouse/big screen. The MS surface dock? does not get any easier, its so good I bought one for home for my personal SP3

We do not need any of the outside products mentioned, in our enterprise we have complete sharing solutions and document management in house, as well as MS Lync services to all in the enterprise. Though not my fav app, its all tied into outlook, so set a meeting, can be online, or meeting room or a hybrid, link the docs to share them, and soon everyone will be bringing their surface still connected to our network no matter where you are.

One device to rule them all...OK OK yeah we still need out BBs as of 4 months from now we will not have any land lines.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Agyess

Old March 10th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Did I misunderstand... or was there an implied real-time reveal (both map and content) to the web based versions?
Agyess is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 10th, 2015, 03:59 PM
The web-based client will use the company servers. Immediate syncing is not a feature currently supported for any client, though it is on the roadmap for the future.
Silveras is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old March 11th, 2015, 03:31 AM
One would assume though, that the turnaround for reveal wouldn't be that long.

Most of the time, something like this would be updated from change to view in about the same time as sending and receiving an email. It really would be an unknown value of time from reveal to players see it (and then only after a refresh maybe?)

It would depend on how they decide to do the update time on their end (i.e. every 5 min, every 60 sec, every hour, etc...). Reveal, save, data is sync'd with the Server, wait for next web refresh, data is revealed. It could be any value of time from instant to a few moments to a few minutes.

We just don't know enough about it at this point.

And to be fair, it's about the same with the desktop version. Reveal info, players don't see it. Save topic, players see it then. Like when running with a Map in the players view. You have to save it, and even then there's a slight delay (depending on your PC's speed/RAM/Graphics Card/whatever).
Pollution is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Ghost Matter

Old March 17th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Will the web version require an account/purchase to use? Right now, I'd buy it for some players (so they can view) but they don't all run Windows so the desktop client is out of the question.

Any timeline (even vague)? I tried to search and Google but haven't found anything. The "Future of Realms Works" document has little to go on for web specifically.

I don't want to use Obsidian Portal but looks like I might have to.

Last edited by Ghost Matter; March 17th, 2015 at 06:53 PM.
Ghost Matter is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 17th, 2015, 07:06 PM
im hoping they stick with their original price plan, which was the player version (or the light-player version) on the web would be free... is that still the case?
mirtos is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 17th, 2015, 11:18 PM
@Ghost Matter and @mirtos, Rob mentioned this earlier in the thread. There will be a free level of web-based player access. There will also be a much more powerful "Player Edition" via the web.

@Ghost Matter, we don't have an ETA for the release right now. Once we have more information, it will be a formal announcement on our website.
liz is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Ghost Matter

Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:09 AM
Thanks, liz!
Ghost Matter is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
manchuwook

Old June 19th, 2015, 02:14 PM
So excited for the web edition. Many of our handouts are in a bunch of different files on dropbox or sent out through emails.
manchuwook is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
GuernseyMan

Old June 24th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Just been thinking about this.

Does the web-based implementation have to be through the internet. Some of our gaming venues have pretty ropey connections.

Would it be possible for me to use the GM edition on my laptop whilst "serving", through the local LAN, to my players tablets? I have a local copy of the entire database and, regardless of connection speed, it would be far faster to update than uploading it and waiting for the download.

If so that would make it the most useful roleplaying tool I have ever seen. (Especially for conventions!)
GuernseyMan is offline   #40 Reply With Quote