Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kunger00

Old May 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Is there an easy way (without going into the editor) to make Animated Objects of a size different than the default Medium?

I had thought (since the Bestiary says it can be done "simply by adjusting the objects size (and thus adjusting its ... as detailed on page 296) and HD.") it would be as simple as just going into the Adjust tab and adding the Size Category adjustment.

Specifically I wanted to create a Tiny Animated Object. So, I added -2 to the size category on the adjust tab.

It no work. (and by "not working" I mean that reducing the medium Animated Object to tiny size via the adjust tab did not generate the stats of a tiny Animated Onject.

So then I tried to go into the editor and copy the animated object race and modify it (which is when I found out you can't copy anything from the Bestiary. I understand why, but it sure is a pain in the arse)

That was a nightmare. I use Hero Lab to make my DMing easier, not harder!

Is there any chance that the Animated Objects race could have some sort of macro for changing the size?
kunger00 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 17th, 2010, 08:36 AM
I'm afraid I didn't have the time while adding the Bestiary to add more than the version of each race that had a statblock in the Bestiary. Adding racial variants like different-sized animated objects is on my to-do list, but it may take a while. I apologize for that.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 18th, 2010, 09:20 AM
In the editor, create a new file, then make a copy of the Animated Object race (even though you can't save that copy). Now, create a new blank race. Switching back and forth between those two items, copy all the settings from one to the other.

Now, to change medium into tiny, change size from "Medium" to "Tiny", change the HD from "3" to "1", change the default starting HP from "16" to "5", and change the Challenge Rating from "3" to "0.5".

Flip in the Bestiary to page 296, and look at table 2-2: Size Changes. You'll see that going from Tiny - Small adds +4 STR, -2 DEX, and going from Small - Medium adds +4 STR, -2 DEX, +2 CON. Since you're going from medium to tiny in this case, total those and reverse the bonus/penalty: -8 STR, +4 DEX, -2 CON. So, now subtract 8 from the current STR modifier of +4, to get -4, add 4 to the current DEX modifier (which is blank - +0), and ignore the CON, since this is a construct that doesn't have a CON score.

Now give your new race a new name, like "Animated Object, Tiny", a new unique Id, lie "rAnimOTiny", and you're done creating a Tiny Animated Object. (Don't forget to delete the copy of the old version before you press "Test Now!").
Mathias is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
kunger00

Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks Mathias! Couple of questions...
When I do this, my new race Animated Object, Tiny now has a skill point and a feat where as the race I copied (Animated Object) does not give this. As far as I can tell, I've duplicated the file correctly. Could you point out why my new animated object, tiny race is getting a skill point and a feat?

Also, neither the original Animated Object nor my tiny version have the Construction Point special quality. Is this planned for a later release? Or am I just missing something?

And on a related note, but possibly something I should be asking on the Paizo boards... with the size change, shouldnt the slam attack for the animated object change too? The bestiary does not say to change that when you change sizes.
kunger00 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kunger00

Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM
Also, not sure if it makes a difference... but the original Animated Objects race gives an Intelligence of - where as my copied version, turned tiny, has an Intelligence of 0 and thus gives an error. Any clues as to why my file has Int 0 where the original has Int -?
kunger00 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Oops, I forgot to add the capability to set No-score attributes in the editor, so you can't see that setting in the editor in order to copy that to your new version. That will also fix the skill point/feat error. I'll get that fixed in the next update.

Construction points/abilities are something I haven't had the time to add. In the meantime, you can create specific combinations of abilities as new animated object races using the editor.

I should have covered the slam damage die size question, sorry. On pg 302, table 3-1, you'll find the standard progressions for natural attacks. Looking at that, a medium creature normally has a 1d4 slam attack, but since the Medium animated object has a 1d6, I'd say to shift everything one column when changing the size, so I'd give a tiny animated object a 1d3 Slam attack. To do so, in the editor, find the "Natural Attacks" option, press the button, and you'll see the Slam attack, and the 1d6 damage setting. Change that to 1d3.

The choice of damage die is a GM call though - table 3-1 is just the suggested values.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
kunger00

Old May 24th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks Mathias!
kunger00 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote