Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

risner
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 1st, 2010, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
So is this Fixes file just Adjustments then?
Fixes2 is just the adjustment.

Fixes.user is races, classes, items, feats, variant classes, adjustments, etc from Complete Champion, Cityscape, Savage Species, Magic of Faerun, Dragon Magazines, and more.

The only dupe right now is Master of Many Forms, and I like mine better than the one in the dataset right now because I calculates values of HD limits and Hours per day etc.

I'm going to clean both up, add tags for sources, etc.
Do you want them as separate files per book?
risner is offline   #101 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 1st, 2010, 10:13 AM
So these are fixes for things already done? Is this something that someone should grab the original files and update using the fixes from risner? Seems like that would be cleaner than adding a new file that replaces stuff from multiple files...unless I'm misunderstanding what's happening here.

Edit: As a side note, I feel like Shadow is getting bombarded here. One person shouldn't have to try and compile everything by himself. I believe the original plan was something like we have a few task leaders that take on the responsibility of making sure submitted items are good to go, then those items are sent to whoever is compiling the releases (probably Shadow). At that point, the compiler doesn't have to worry about checking the files. He just adds them into the next release package and we're good to go. I think we should consider putting a temporary hold on new user-created content until we have a better system in place. Thoughts?

Last edited by Sendric; December 1st, 2010 at 10:17 AM.
Sendric is offline   #102 Reply With Quote
risner

Old December 1st, 2010, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
So these are fixes for things already done?
I'll be frank. I don't know the procedure. I don't know whether I should mark up the existing files or not.

So I've created a package for a lot of different files.

There is only one "fix" included (the Master of Many Forms PrC)
Everything else I have will be new content (for instance Strong Stomach I rewrote my work to use the one created by someone else instead of using mine.) So everything that is practical I will be using pre-existing things.
risner is offline   #103 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by risner View Post
I'll be frank. I don't know the procedure. I don't know whether I should mark up the existing files or not.
Yea, I think this is why we need some task managers or project leaders or whatever you want to call them. Stuff like this is great, but I think we should try to keep things organized so that if something is from Complete Warrior, then it should be in a Complete Warrior file (as an example). Editing the original file isn't a problem if only a few people are involved. However, if we have multiple people looking to edit the same file that can get pretty messy. Maybe we should assign certain books and/or certain categories (ie feats, spells, skills, etc) to certain project leaders and filter user content through them. Last I remember seeing, the project leaders were Shadow, Lawful, ChiefWeasel, and perhaps myself. If everybody is still up for it, we should break down who takes lead on what. For instance, I'd be happy to take on the lead role for Psionic Powers. That's obviously a small category, but it's a start.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks, and don't be afraid to tell me I'm crazy and to just go back to my corner.
Sendric is offline   #104 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old December 1st, 2010, 11:01 AM
I have been pushing for something like "project managers" for a while, but its difficult with a volunteer user created content. That is why testing is so important, and a few folks have been doing that before the final user content file is released. I had a listing of all the potential projects that could be done by the user community but to be honest no one contacted me about doing any of them. Lawful_g did the bulk of them and would hand the files off to a few of us for testing and such.

we've come a long ways since the beginning of the year, but the current process does put the burdon on a few folks in the community. projects would be great and i am willing to set them up and track them, we would just need the people to work on them.

just my opinion, lol.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #105 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old December 1st, 2010, 11:24 AM
Keeping track of projects is also great, but might not be as easy to do with new people popping in. And, as you already learned, it requires people telling us what they're working on before it gets submitted, though maybe that's something we should make a pre-requisite to submission.

My idea is something like this:

project manager x is in charge of feats
project manager y is in charge of classes
etc...

then when new things come in from other users, the new content gets sent to the appropriate project manager for review and incorporated where ever it needs to be. From there, it gets shuffled off to the compiler for admission to the next update. What would need to be decided is A) what are the categories and B) who are the project leaders?

Project managers could also keep track of who's working on what, which would bring things back around to tracking projects.
Sendric is offline   #106 Reply With Quote
risner

Old December 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
I updated everything to use what is available and to tag sources (including ones not previously existing.)
In case you didn't notice, this is my only remaining D20 character. So a lot of this is tailored to what he had.

Here is the current file as one file:
http://heathers.stdio.com/~risner/Fixes.user

Inventory:
Skin of Kaletor (D324)
Wild Shape Amulet (MoF)
Wraith's Woe Gauntlets of Ghost Fighting (MIC)
Mechanatrix (FF)
Stormfire Ring (MIC)
Great and Small (CC)
Inured to Energy (SS)
Iron Constitution (CityS)
City-Shape (CityS)
Master of Many Forms (Fixed; CAdv)
Reducing Level Adjustment (UA; Tested for LA+1 and LA+2, should work for others.)
Fix Wild Empathy to live update with current bonus (PHB/UA/etc; not complete since it needs to know EVERYTHING that modifies Wild Empathy)

Things I haven't done:
1) The two items that grant Wild Shape if you don't have it (no script for this)
2) Wild Empathy Adjustment only considers things I have. I need to code for everything that can modify Wild Empathy to do so.

Last edited by risner; December 1st, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
risner is offline   #107 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old December 1st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Edit: As a side note, I feel like Shadow is getting bombarded here. One person shouldn't have to try and compile everything by himself. ..... Thoughts?
Yea when we started this it was only a few people so didn't think it would grow so large and quickly. Its why I had to put a hold on release 1.2 for now so I can finish compiling it and at least doing a basic system test which does not include a detailed unit test.

I like the idea of help and filtering stuff. I am thinking if each person takes a section of Things it could help. In example Sendric says he will take Psionics. Maybe Lawful_g will take Classes(both base and PrC) and Cheifweasel will take races and so on. Basically this would mean that I can send any Psinoics stuff to Sendric and Classes to Lawful_g to do quick unit testing. This means some people will be doing a little more work, but hopefully we spread things out so its not all on one person like myself as I am finding it hard to keep up. Which is just slowing everything down.

Then when those individuals feel happy with the new stuff they send it to myself and I can combine it into the whole data set. Then I am just in charge of making sure Sources issues and any global issues of combining all this stuff together works correctly and smoothly.

This would really be helpful as it would take some of it off my shoulders and spread it around a little. Plus I have a really nice piece of free software I found that can help us all track these files. Its called Dropbox and you install it on your computer. Then I can share a folder on my computer that will auto-sync the files in it to each other persons computer. This way instead of sending all the emails around with versions we can just use a single location that will store the most current copy of the .user file. Hope that makes sense.

To try this out I am going to send an invite from Dropbox to Lawful_g and Sendric. Its free and was quick for myself to setup. Once you guys join I can then share a folder with you guys that have all the .user files for 1.2 and we can see how it goes.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #108 Reply With Quote
risner

Old December 1st, 2010, 12:26 PM
I pulled up another character I had in excel, and it seems every class plus his race isn't in the data set. I'll probably build all these items shortly (next few weeks.)

PS:
I made a test Centaur (not the RotW one) and I get this on reload:
Attempt to access field gSizeDiff' that does not exist for thing 'wHooves'
Location: synthesize #0' script for Dossier 'statblock' near line 366

Looks like it is a problem with the D20 data from LW?

The code seems to be in:
source/dossier_statblock.dat
risner is offline   #109 Reply With Quote
risner

Old December 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Its why I had to put a hold on release 1.2 for now so I can finish compiling it and at least doing a basic system test which does not include a detailed unit test.
How can I help? Shall I integrate them into the base files then send you a batch via drop box?
risner is offline   #110 Reply With Quote