Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

AndrewD2

Old March 12th, 2016, 01:51 PM
As characters level they can advancements in their focuses and abilities.

Every class sets the character's abilities as Primary or Secondary. 4 Primary and 5 secondary. The class forwards the appropriate PrimAbil.? and SecAbil.? tags to the hero once the class is selected.

Every even level they gain an advancment point to use in a primary ability and can gain a focus for one of their primary abilities (or gain it a second time if the level is over 11). This is all calculated on the various resource picks.

I'm figuring the best way to do this is with 2 tables for each, one that handles primary and one that handles secondary. The ability advancements have tags marking what they're for, but the focuses have a linkage and it assigns the tag after it's selected with a script.

I'm not sure how to limit the focuses based on their linkage.
AndrewD2 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 13th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Where are these advancements being added? Are you talking about Advances tab advancements, or are they being added in a gizmo on the individual abilities? I'm afraid I can't tell if "advancements" here is a term in your game system or whether you're referring to the Hero Lab term.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AndrewD2

Old March 13th, 2016, 07:34 PM
My apologies, I should have explained that better. "Advancement" is the term the system uses for gaining focuses or increasing abilities. I wasn't 100% on the best way to handle them. I had considered doing it like Pathfinder does (which is kinda what I was looking at here), where there is no "lock for advancement" and things just get increased as you go. But I can also see it working well like Shadowrun where you can gain new focuses, or advance an existing one or increase the appropriate ability score by paying the right about of "advancements".

The system is closer to a PF/D20 system where you gain XP and when you hit a determined threshold you gain a level. A level grants you and ability advancement and a focus advancement (Primary ability score for even levels, secondary for odd). THen you gain the other abilities of the classes.

Locking for advancement would probably be the cleanest solution, but the PF style seemed easier. So I'm open for any suggestions on that front. I guess if I lock for advancement I'll still need to create tables based on primary/secondary abilities.
AndrewD2 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote