Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

tkarn

Old March 30th, 2011, 02:45 AM
I need some explanations for programming ( I think ) some simple things with herolab:

I created a "class" component:

Quote:

<component
id="Class"
name="Class"
autocompset="no">

<!-- Each race needs its own identity tag to configure the hero appropriately -->
<identity group="Class"/>

<!-- Track the race on the actor by assigning the appropriate tag -->
<eval index="1" phase="Setup" priority="5000"><![CDATA[
perform forward[Class.?]
]]></eval>

</component>
and I created an Editor Panel for the Class.

Quote:
<editthing
compset="Class"
name="Klassen"
prefix="cl"
description="Races have no special fields - only a name. If a race confers an ability,{br}create it as a special ability and bootstrap it from the race."
summary="Defines a Race that can be selected by a character.">

<inputthing
name="Zusatzbilder"
helptext="Zusatzbilder">
<it_taglist group="MagicTab" tag="?"/>
</inputthing>

</editthing>
The "Zusatzbilder" inputthing adds tags "mtRunes" and "mtComRites" from Group "MagicTab" to my new class....

Quote:

<thing id="clTest" name="Test1" compset="Class" uniqueness="unique">
<usesource source="bAE_Player"/>
<tag group="MagicTab" tag="mtComRites" name="abc"/>
<tag group="MagicTab" tag="mtRunes" name="xyz"/>
</thing>
When I add my class to my hero I can see the tag Class.clTest but I can not see the mtRunes tag. How can I check, if a class has this tag or not? I want to set an "runes" tab visible, if my class has the mtRunes tag.
tkarn is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Remember that editor entries are built for the Compset, not the Component - Components are collected into Compsets - you'll find those at the bottom of the traits.str file.

Could you copy the definition of the MagicTab tag group from the Tags.1st file, please? I want to make sure you've set that up as a dynamic tag group (which is required if you want the editor to be able to create new tags for it on the fly).

Also, I'd recommend not building editor entries for things until near the end - I find that I have to change the way I handle things so often while getting the functions of a compset correct, that keeping the editor updated in parallel with those changes just takes more time than it's worth, and it's easier to build the editor based on the final, working version.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old March 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:

<group
id="MagicTab" dynamic="yes">
<value id="mtSpells" name="Zauber"/>
<value id="mtRunes" name="Runen"/>
<value id="mtComRites" name="Kampfrituale"/>
</group>
These are the entries from the tags.1st.

Is the whole component / compset thing an HL or an XML issue? Maybe I find a good book in German if it is an XML issue.

Last edited by tkarn; March 30th, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
tkarn is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 31st, 2011, 08:04 AM
Component/Compset is a distinction within Hero Lab.

Scroll your way through traits.str or equipment.str - you'll see that both files start with components - those components have lots of fields defined on them, various scripts, prereqs, etc.

Then, you'll come to the Compsets - you'll see that each of those consists of many Compref entries - look at the Ids of what's being specified in those Comprefs, and you'll see that it's the Components that were defined above. That way, you can define how the Traits component works, but you can use the trait component as part of both the attributes compset and the skills compset, and any other compset that turns out to need it.

If you already have the tags you're using defined, and you're writing the thing entries manually, you can skip the name="" part of the tag definition - Hero Lab will fill that in for you. If you used the editor to generate those, you must have had different names defined in the MagicTab group at the time you created those, since I see that the names don't match between the tags.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 31st, 2011, 08:18 AM
Here's the wiki page that covers the Component/Compset distinction:
http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....Component_Sets

It's in the Structural Building Blocks section:
http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....uilding_Blocks
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old March 31st, 2011, 10:59 PM
Yaeh, i changed the name thing later.....

Quote:
<compset
id="Class"
forceunique="yes">
<compref component="Class"/>
</compset>
Oh, I have a compset "Class"....

But how can I check, if a Class has a tag - for example to make a tab visible?
tkarn is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 1st, 2011, 08:20 AM
Develop Menu...Floating Info Windows...Show Selection Tags will let you see the tags on everything that's been added to the character.

If it's been added to a table, just right-click it and choose "Show Debug Tags for XXXXX"
Mathias is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
tkarn

Old April 1st, 2011, 12:15 PM
Thank you. I will try it....
tkarn is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Namauqa

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I am trying to add this as a custom feat and I was hoping one of a higher intelligence than me, can figure it out.

ADDITIONAL DOMAIN
Your devotion to your faith has strengthened your personal bond with your deity, allowing you greater access to divine gifts.
Prerequisite: Ability to cast divine spells.
Benefit: Select one of your deity’s domains to which you do not already have access. You may invoke the domain power and cast the domain spells as if you were a cleric of your caster level.

I would be forever grateful.
Namauqa is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 11th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namauqa View Post
I am trying to add this as a custom feat and I was hoping one of a higher intelligence than me, can figure it out.

ADDITIONAL DOMAIN
Your devotion to your faith has strengthened your personal bond with your deity, allowing you greater access to divine gifts.
Prerequisite: Ability to cast divine spells.
Benefit: Select one of your deity’s domains to which you do not already have access. You may invoke the domain power and cast the domain spells as if you were a cleric of your caster level.

I would be forever grateful.
^_^ You may have an easier time posting this on the appropriate system forum. Pathfinder? 3.5? Homebrew system?
Duggan is offline   #10 Reply With Quote