Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Azhrei

Old July 27th, 2018, 11:52 PM
Hey all.

I've got a weird situation that maybe someone can tell me how to fix. Searching for several keywords didn't bring up any threads that looked relevant. (Although I did go down a rabbit hole and read a few of them anyway. )

I copied a level 7 hero with plans to level her up, but since I'll be using this hero in a different campaign from the original, I wanted to delete most of her gear and journal entries. However, now that I've done so, the Money item in her Gear is acting strange.

It shows up as ~892 gp and when I hover over the question mark, it says, "Cash: 914" and "Equivalent value: 892.23".

Extracting the portfolio and looking at the XML, I only find one field that contains the "914." value but I don't understand why my cash has something called "Equivalent value" nor how to "patch" the correction into the XML.

Thanks for any help!
Azhrei is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 28th, 2018, 07:02 AM
By deleting journal entries, you've removed cash that this character has spent at some point (HL stores the total of all money spent and stores the total of all money gained in journals). But then you've got values in other coin amounts that are enough to bring the total above 0. I'd add a journal called cash corrections, and use that to add and subtract various coin values until you've got all the numbers positive. I'd start with gp, since that's most likely what you've spent for purchases.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old July 28th, 2018, 09:49 AM
First, thank you for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
By deleting journal entries, you've removed cash that this character has spent at some point (HL stores the total of all money spent and stores the total of all money gained in journals).
Yeah, I figured as much.

Quote:
But then you've got values in other coin amounts that are enough to bring the total above 0.
I don't understand this statement. "Values in other coin amounts"?

Quote:
I'd add a journal called cash corrections, and use that to add and subtract various coin values until you've got all the numbers positive. I'd start with gp, since that's most likely what you've spent for purchases.
But I'd like to start this character off without any journal entries. It sounds like you're advocating to keep one entry to "balance the books" — is that because there's no easy way in the interface to correct this?

What if I bought something worth 892.23gp, then sold it at "0%". Would that properly zero out the balance? Edit: This worked. In fact, when I selected the Custom Cost checkbox for a weapon, it even told me what the coin amounts were and I entered the exact same values into the four currency fields. I was surprised (a little bit) that it allowed "-2" for pp, but I now have no coins and nothing is red, so it's all good. Woohoo!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Azhrei; July 28th, 2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: solution was to purchase something for exactly 892.23gp
Azhrei is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old July 28th, 2018, 09:59 AM
New problem...

When I hover over the "Gear Value" field at the top of the main window, it tells me:

Code:
Total Gear Value:       ~37,165 gp of 33,000 gp
Gear and Money Value:   ~37,164.52 gp of 33,000 gp
Huh? Why would they be different by 48 cp? It looks like I have $0.48 worth of negative money.

Hovering over Money on the Gear tab says, "You have no money!" and "Equivalent value" of 0 gp.
Azhrei is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Zaknaefin

Old July 30th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
New problem...

When I hover over the "Gear Value" field at the top of the main window, it tells me:

Code:
Total Gear Value:       ~37,165 gp of 33,000 gp
Gear and Money Value:   ~37,164.52 gp of 33,000 gp
Huh? Why would they be different by 48 cp? It looks like I have $0.48 worth of negative money.

Hovering over Money on the Gear tab says, "You have no money!" and "Equivalent value" of 0 gp.
That is probably just a rounding difference. One rounds to copper, the other rounds to gold (integer).

Currently playing: Starfinder Fallout, Star Wars Saga Edition, Savage Worlds Slipstream.
Zaknaefin is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old July 31st, 2018, 09:08 PM
Well, rounding shouldn't be possible. HL tracks each individual currency type as integers and only adds them together for display purposes. So for example, you might have 1 gp and 1 cp. It tracks them as "1" and "1" — no round off. When it displays them, it has to add gp + cp/100, so "1 + 1/100" and this could have round off, but it should only be in that last digit, so less than 1/100 of a gp.

I haven't taken the XML apart (again) to see where the 48 cp difference might be coming from, but it's only a little concerning — since they were both correct when I started, somehow I lost that money while equipping the character. How? Why? It's only 48 cp in this instance; could it be more? How much more?

As I said, I'm not going to worry about it at this point, but you can bet that every time I buy or sell something, I'm going to be verifying those two numbers.
Azhrei is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old August 1st, 2018, 03:53 PM
~ means "approximately". I don't think you actually lost any money, it is just that the first number is rounded to the nearest whole number, and the 2nd is rounded to the decimal place. That's a small bug, I agree, but not one where you're losing money.
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote