Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 18th, 2015, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venger View Post
So one more question.

We are playing TOR (The One Ring, Cubicle 7)
I'm writing a visual basic app to help me with game related tasks.
It will be a stand alone executable (.exe)

Is there a way I can create a link to it and launch it from RW?
Just to clarify something stated by @Farling. You should NOT try to store the executable program within Realm Works. The trick is to save a data file that triggers your program to be launched by the operating system.

I assume your program will save its information into a file of some sort. Give it a unique file extension and then register your program with the operating system as being the default application for files with that extension. Then store the data file within Realm Works as a "foreign object" (advanced snippet type). When you open that file, Realm Works will hand it to the operating system, which will in turn launch your program.

If your program will be storing data in a database instead of a data file of some sort, you can use the above trick anyways. Just associate a file extension with your program and store an empty file with that extension in Realm Works. You don't have to actually save anything in the file. You can simply use it as a means of triggering Realm Works to launch your program.
rob is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old March 18th, 2015, 04:50 AM
Just going to note something:

Skype screen-sharing is an absolute godsend for using Player View online (just set it to share one window, which is the Player View window, and you're rocking), but in the interests of managing everyone's expectations: I was running Roll20 in Firefox (for some reason I've always had issued running it in Chrome), and Skype screen sharing caused Roll20 to lag horribly.

I haven't tested in other browsers (IE ain't getting installed on my machine, thanks, and the aforementioned Chrome problems), so I can't generalise, but it's something to be aware of.

Chief Calendar Champion Chemlak

Join the unofficial Realm Works IRC channel! Join #realm-works
Chemlak is offline   #12 Reply With Quote