Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

AEIOU

Old October 8th, 2016, 08:21 AM
I'm not sure the intent of the Quick Access Toolbar. Add duplicate little icons above the huge icons? The only things you can add to it are the things in the Ribbon Bar....

Since I spend most of my RW development time copy/pasting, I keep my hand on the mouse more than I do the keyboard. As such, I'm a clicker not a shortkeyer, so having to navigate menus to hit a command three deep in the menu tree over and over and over is time consuming.

I'd like to be able to add actual editing commands to it. Or heck, add some of the most useful as static options and call it done. For me, these would be CTRL-ALT-R, CTRL-Q, CTRL-SHIFT-~, CTRL-SHIFT-A, Duplicate Topic and Synchronize to Match.

Another option would be to add a new top level EDIT tab to add a new ribbon bar with the main editing commands grouped and having large icons like the HOME tab does. I'd spend all of my development time in this much more useful ribbon bar.
AEIOU is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 8th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I keep meaning to write a long post about how Realm Works is a "non-Ribbon Ribbon application". The executive summary is that an application that properly uses the Ribbon concept puts most or all of its commands in Ribbons, whereas Realm Works mainly uses the Ribbon for another level of navigation and puts all of its commands in context menus. Why use a Ribbon at all?

In any event: the Quick Access Toolbar is there so you can pull out frequently-used commands from the Ribbon and make them available regardless of which Ribbon tab is selected. Other applications also give them dedicated keyboard shortcuts; most of the Office apps give the first nine QAT items Alt-1 through Alt-9.

Since the Quick Access Toolbar is part of the Ribbon, they'd need to expand on commands available in the Ribbon for you to be able to add them to the QAT.

I'd also like to see them make all of the commands available with standard methods, whether that means adding them all to Ribbons or going back to traditional menus (if that's an option with their third-party toolset).

Last edited by Parody; October 8th, 2016 at 12:33 PM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old October 8th, 2016, 01:56 PM
I have never understood why the ribbon system was ever invented.

I am an excel power-user and I must say that with the ribbon system my speed when making spreadsheets have fallen drastically.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 8th, 2016, 03:01 PM
If you'd like to know more about the development of the Ribbon (for Office 2007) I recommend this video from a Microsoft developer conference: The Story of the Ribbon.

Jensen Harris (from the Office 2007 UX team) talks about the Office team adding multiple different types of UI over the years and their desire to both reduce and unify the mess and make it easier to find how to do whatever it is you're trying to do. (There's an often-repeated piece of trivia that the most requested features in the Office applications are things that are already there, so making things easier to find is a big thing.) He goes into things they tried during the development of Office 2007 and how they ended up with the Ribbon.

I'm not a power user of the applications themselves, but I do work in VBA quite a bit and have kept with Office 2003 because I need to make sure things work in a wide range of Office versions. I only have commercial licenses for 2003 and 2013; most of the machines in the house have non-commercial licenses for Office 2010.

Last edited by Parody; October 8th, 2016 at 03:08 PM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote