Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Konig-Wolf

Old December 13th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Hello,

As Realm Works comes closer and closer to launch, I've been getting myself ready for it. One of the things I'm planning to do is purchase a new hybrid laptop to use as my main tool for entering information into Realm Works (and being my primary gaming aid).

I need to know if the Application is DPI aware though, and works with Windows 8.1 scaling. I ask this because Lenovo just introduced a new version of their Yoga convertible laptop with a 13.3" QHD+ screen (3200 x 1800). If Realm Works is compatible with the scaling mode in Windows 8.1, that would be perfect. If the program isn't however, I'd probably go with a different laptop, one that has a normal HD screen (1920x1080).

I don't have a QHD+ screen machine to test the program on though, and I doubt they'd let me install the program at Best Buy...however, this a make or break decision for me on which laptop I'm getting, so any insight would be appreciated.

Also, The UI on Realm Works is a tad on the small side (that's my only complaint about the software at this time, as everything else has been fantastic)...will there ever be a way to change the size of the UI elements in Realm Works? Please let me know. Thank you for your help.
Konig-Wolf is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
JackOfAllGames

Old December 13th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Interesting. I'd be curious to know too. I likely won't have a 4K screen for at least another year, but I know that I'll want better than 1920x1080 as soon as I can afford it.
JackOfAllGames is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old December 13th, 2013, 03:38 PM
I for one hated downgrading to a "High Def" 1080p LCD screen a few years ago - but it was forced upon me when my old 21" CRT finally gave up after 15 loyal years, but I have to say, I like the extra desktop space.

These days, the 1920x1200 I have now has nearly the same resolution my old CRT was capable of (but it can't keep my lunch warm). The two 1080's I have flanking it give me the extra space I like, so I'm more than placated now.

Anyway, with 4k* monitors coming down in price, I also see one about a year or so away.

* - I still don't know why they call them 4k. They're really only 2160 vertical - the 4k refers to the horizontal pixels. If we're going to switch terminology to the horizontal, then all those 1920x1080 monitors need to be re-branded as 2k, instead of 1080. Crazy marketing folks - making everything more difficult!
lifer4700 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 18th, 2013, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig-Wolf View Post
I need to know if the Application is DPI aware though, and works with Windows 8.1 scaling.
Mostly.

We haven't tried running Realm Works on the new high-resolution desktop displays, but we do have experience on the Surface 2, which has a high-resolution display that inherently wants to scale everything (just like the new displays). On the Surface, Realm Works is highly usable, but there are some minor cosmetic issues due to the scaling (typically text being slightly clipped). We haven't yet had the chance to investigate the reason for these issues, but we're aware of them and will be addressing them in the not-to-distant future.

So, if you choose to invest in a high-res display, you should be able to use Realm Works successfully. However, it may have some niggly visual annoyances until we get those sorted out.
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Laura
Not A Spy
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 18th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Rob covered this pretty well, but I'll add my personal experience. As part of our development process I've been running Realm Works on a wide variety of devices, from a 27" 2560x1440 desktop to an 8" tablet, including a Surface Pro (10.6" @ 1080p). Realm Works runs just fine at 125% and 150% scaling, though there are a few quirks with fonts (no more than I see in Word and Excel, just different). That said, I tend to prefer running at a lower resolution (1600x900 on the Surface, for example) rather than font scaling. It isn't quite as crisp but it virtually eliminates scaling artifacts.

Right now I'm having a lot of fun with a Dell Venue 8 Pro. I have to use a stylus with Realm Works, but I use its Wireless Display feature with my living room TV and I get a huge Player View and my whole campaign in the palm of my hand.

I agree that some of the UI elements can be hard to hit on high DPI screens, especially if you're using a finger rather than a stylus. All I can say is that we're aware of the issue and we'd like it to be more touch-friendly, but I can't discuss when that might happen.

One last bit of clarification: Rob meant Surface Pro 2, not Surface 2. Realm Works is not compatible with Windows RT devices.

Last edited by Laura; December 18th, 2013 at 12:57 AM.
Laura is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Konig-Wolf

Old December 18th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Rob, Laura, thank you both for the reply. I think I can buy the Yoga 2 Pro without worry now.

Anything you can do in future releases to make the UI elements more-scalable would be fantastic.
Konig-Wolf is offline   #6 Reply With Quote