Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Raistlindantilus

Old January 23rd, 2020, 04:44 AM
I'm getting frequent sync errors for snippets being too large but it is background housekeeping data and not the data I've entered into the snippet.

The error doesn't identify the snippet or the topic but gives only some GUID that I can't use.

It's also very difficult to get support on this issue and causes a problem syncing my realm from the PC I work on to the PC I use during the game.

Does anyone have any strategies or suggestions?

Last time I found the topic by noticing the performance hit when navigating that topic and recreated it from scratch which solved the problem, but now it is back again and I don't notice any similar performance hit on any recently edited topics.

The first time I had this problem it manifested in an old topic I hadn't touched in ages so it could really be a needle in a haystack at this point and is not necessarily tied to any topics or snippets I've recently edited.
Raistlindantilus is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 23rd, 2020, 05:33 AM
If you do a full export of your realm to an XML file, then you could do a manual search in the generated RWexport file in order to find which snippet it thinks is too big.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 23rd, 2020, 07:46 AM
Are you pasting PDF's into snippets without stripping format?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Raistlindantilus

Old January 23rd, 2020, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Are you pasting PDF's into snippets without stripping format?
No, I always ctrl + alt + v and strip formatting. Some really really old topics may exist before I started that but those have never been the source of the problem.

The amount of visible data in the problem snippet has always been very small, the corrupted large data is in the background and invisible and with only the GUID from the error message its very hard to find.
Raistlindantilus is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Raistlindantilus

Old January 23rd, 2020, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
If you do a full export of your realm to an XML file, then you could do a manual search in the generated RWexport file in order to find which snippet it thinks is too big.
I will try this today. Thanks for the suggestion.
Raistlindantilus is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Raistlindantilus

Old January 23rd, 2020, 08:50 AM
Quote:
I have the RWexport file but I'm not sure what to do next. Is there a walkthrough somewhere?
Raistlindantilus is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Raistlindantilus

Old January 23rd, 2020, 08:57 AM
Quote:
I think I figured it out. I have the rwexport open in a text editor and I can see the GUIDs next to every snippet. I think I can find it from here:

PS: YOU'RE AWESOME AND LONE WOLF DEVELOPMENT SOULD HIRE YOU!! YOU ACCOMPLISHED IN ONE FORUM POST WHAT WEEKS OF WAITING ON SUPPORT COULD NOT!!!
Raistlindantilus is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Raistlindantilus

Old January 23rd, 2020, 10:45 AM
Quote:
YES!! IT WORKED!!!

This is going in my permanent bag of tricks. So happy I can fix this issue myself now.
Raistlindantilus is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old January 23rd, 2020, 11:42 AM
I'm glad you found the "offending" snippet :-)

Notepad++ is my favourite text editor for XML. It can auto-format the Realm Works output into something almost human-readable.

Is it a particularly big snippet?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old January 24th, 2020, 04:09 AM
I had this issue as well, 4 of my snippets in my campaign ended up with 20+ MB of data but only the few lines of text entered showed. No idea how it happened and why it did not show in the snippet but this tip from Farling is something I will too indeed need to remember.

Whats really odd is, they were some of the early snippets like months after I entered them, this happened.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #10 Reply With Quote