Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer Fantasy 8th Ed.
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EdSteiner

Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:51 PM
It may be helpful to add the detail of what type of troop it is like the compostion group has listed. So you can quickly check if it infantry, cavalry or like

Ed
EdSteiner is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
gkgnight

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSteiner View Post
It may be helpful to add the detail of what type of troop it is like the compostion group has listed. So you can quickly check if it infantry, cavalry or like

Ed
that is actually a good idea. I'll implement it for the next update.
gkgnight is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Yobtar

Old January 4th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Skaven already have their troop types listed. Feel free to change the way they are listed if you come up with a "cleaner" or simpler way.
Yobtar is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
EdSteiner

Old January 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Ahh, i see you keyed the data in the description field, I was thinking more along the lines of using the tags field. But the Skaven data is the only one with that added detail, must be thanks to you
EdSteiner is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
gkgnight

Old January 4th, 2011, 08:29 AM
i added a new group in the definition files called TType (for troop type) when added that group to the unit stats so one would be able to enter it in like one does for any of the other stats. I did it that way b/c to me the troop type is another stat in the stat line (if you look at the referance pages in the back of the big rulebook it's listed next to strength and attacks and such...)

then all you have to do is add a script in the psot link for the normal mounts to change the troop type of any characters (like heros or lords which are infantry non-mounted) to cavalary if a mount (non mousterous) is selected.

Ed... you should consider helping out with some of the data files. Perhaps for one or two of the armies that yuou play ;-p
gkgnight is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Yobtar

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Ahh, i see you keyed the data in the description field, I was thinking more along the lines of using the tags field. But the Skaven data is the only one with that added detail, must be thanks to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgnight View Post
i added a new group in the definition files called TType (for troop type) when added that group to the unit stats so one would be able to enter it in like one does for any of the other stats. I did it that way b/c to me the troop type is another stat in the stat line (if you look at the referance pages in the back of the big rulebook it's listed next to strength and attacks and such...)

then all you have to do is add a script in the psot link for the normal mounts to change the troop type of any characters (like heros or lords which are infantry non-mounted) to cavalary if a mount (non mousterous) is selected.
Yes, when I made the troop types for the Skaven I did it in the simplest quickest way and was going to go back into the def file and add types as a option type or stat but didnt want to step on the MDFA's (main data file author) toes.
The stat way does seem to be the best way to go, but will it include the additional rule info for the troop type on the print out? For example will Monstrous Cav include Stomp and 3 models for rank bonus/6 models for horde? I realize that these rules should be easy to remember but in the heat of battle a little reminder is always a bonus.

@gkgnight - feel free to email me or PM with how to get the new TTs for skaven done. especially for stuff like the Screaming Bell and Plague Furnace which make Grey Seers and Plague Priests unique mounts. Ill get to work on them ASAP.
Yobtar is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
EdSteiner

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM
@gkgnignt I would be happy to send you the DoW extract i worked on using those online Army books i PM'd you about. But my two armies might not get alot of play being its Chaos Dwaves and Dogs of War. Hey I got over 400 Chaos Dwarf models and every DoW Unit plus some every early edition ones like Skarlock's Wood Elf Archers and Prince Ulther Dragon Company, you know the one's with the nub where the shield goes on the arm, talk about early stuff <EG>
EdSteiner is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
gkgnight

Old January 4th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Quote:
@gkgnignt I would be happy to send you the DoW extract i worked on using those online Army books i PM'd you about. But my two armies might not get alot of play being its Chaos Dwaves and Dogs of War. Hey I got over 400 Chaos Dwarf models and every DoW Unit plus some every early edition ones like Skarlock's Wood Elf Archers and Prince Ulther Dragon Company, you know the one's with the nub where the shield goes on the arm, talk about early stuff <EG>
thanks for the links. i'll check them out once we're done adding troop types to all teh units. So it'll be a day or 2.
gkgnight is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Habig

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:32 AM
Thanks for getting rolling on the troop types! That should make keeping track of special rules across the whole WHFB universe easier to code.

Some bits to fill in, noticed while prepping my TK and my son's O&G lists for a game this weekend (thus, they may or may not be symptoms of larger issues):
  • Monstrous Beasts should get "Swift Stride" (noticed on the tomb scorpions)
  • Monstrous Infantry should get "Monstrous Support" (noticed on the Ushabti)
  • the Giant Spider (taken as a option on gobbo bosses) isn't inheriting from the Monstrous Beast class, so the "stomp" you've got entered isn't showing up. Perhaps since it's invoked as an option rather than a unit? Further complicating things is that ridden M.B.'s count as Monstrous Cav too, although I'm not sure if that has any real practical implications for listing out special rules.
Habig is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
gkgnight

Old January 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habig View Post
  • Further complicating things is that ridden M.B.'s count as Monstrous Cav too, although I'm not sure if that has any real practical implications for listing out special rules.
This is actually important. BEcause if a character (hero choice) with only 2 wounds is ridding a mounstrous beast... he follows the ruels of the cavalry model adn you cannot attack the mount as they have a split profile. In addition, the rider now gets an amount of wounds equal to the model with the highest wounds characteristic.

Thus if a hero (with 2 wounds) is ridding a mounstrous beast with 3 wounds, the ridder now effectively has 3 wounds.

Quote:
the Giant Spider (taken as a option on gobbo bosses) isn't inheriting from the Monstrous Beast class, so the "stomp" you've got entered isn't showing up. Perhaps since it's invoked as an option rather than a unit?
This has been adressed and will be in the next update.

Quote:
Monstrous Beasts should get "Swift Stride" (noticed on the tomb scorpions)
we're still addressing this issue to make sure all units that have this rule have it included in their profile. This process should be finished within the next 2 updates.

Last edited by gkgnight; January 21st, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
gkgnight is offline   #10 Reply With Quote